Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpacks

Backpacks

You might want to look at the BP1420 Backpack from Lightware.

Backpacks

Well, I guess I have the most unconventional way. I am new to LF, but certainbly not new to photography and carrying camera gear. I am also not new to backpacking. It is true that hiking backpacks will give you far more support that you need to make your gear 'carryable'. I use a US Army 'ALICE' pack which is the standard external frame backpack for the US army. It has a very small frame (aircraft aluminum) and a pretty new pack only costs around $60-70 from the surplus stores. Sometimes you can find almost new ones there. The pack is basically just a huge open sack with a bunch of compartment pockets on the outside. I also bought one of those aluminum cases from Lowes for $25 which looks just like a more expensive hard camera case. It is actually quite well built and a superb value. I pack my camera and lens and delicate gear into the case and then slide the case into the ALICE pack. It fits nicely and would protect it against a Mack truck! When I am not hiking, I can just carry the case. This is definitely not the lightest way to do this, but it's cheap, protects well, and the pack is surprizingly good at suspension and comfort for a cheap backpack. It will stand up MUCH better than a cheap external frame pack. The pockets on the outside hold rain pncho (also surplus!) film holders, lunch, water, etc. BTW-these packs are outstanding cheap backpacks for hiking. They also work exceptionally well for canoe camping (ala Boundry Waters, MN) as they are shorter and more compact than a regular hiking pack (like my Gregory Dru) and fit into canoes better. They also come with 'quick release' straps so you can drop your pack instantly and hit the ground with your M16 just in case you are hit with enemy fire while you're out doing landscape photography. Bonus.

Backpacks

I just came across this forum and thought that I would put in my 2 cents worth. I carry an 8X10 with an 8X20 back, holders for both formats, lens and other accessories. Total weight 80lbs. I put all this in the largest North Face back pack. I hike up to 10 miles daily with this setup. I just put my clothes and food in Outdoor Research bags and attach them to the exterior of the pack along with the tent and sleeping bag.

david distefano

Backpacks

I got a Tenba AW pack for my MF camera outfit, and trying it on, it didn't seem very comfortable. However, after taking it apart, I noticed a number of adjustments that could be made. For example, changing the relative position of the top straps to the bottom straps, or bending the metal rods that are inserted in the spine. (Not mine, the pack's.) Etc.

The MEI backpack for my LF stuff is nothing more than a big rectangle, and when I purchased it, the knowledgeable store clerk made a number of adjustments, bending the rods to the shape of my back, etc. After she was finished, it fit beautifully. I've never had a problem with this pack.

You might consider taking your pack into a mountaineer's store, and seeing what they can do.

Backpacks

For day hikes, I've been using a laptop computer knapsack from EMS for my 8x10 Gowland Pocket View, 3 lenses (one mounted), usually 3 holders (but it holds 5), meter, cloth, filters, etc. Probably about 25 pounds all told. It has a light waist strap (not what you would find on a backpack designed for backcountry hiking, but it takes some of the load off the shoulders) and a sternum strap, and I've carried it comfortably for one to two hours at a stretch. I carry my tripod separately with a strap.

Backpacks

After reading some of these responses (which are really very good) i.e. hiking 10 miles a day with 80ibs of gear. Sounds like if I had to do this for a living I would look for better work.

I think the best solution is hire someone to carry my gear and when I arrive at the destination I will have enough energy left to set up and shoot

I currently use a Pro Treker and carry around 40-45ibs up to 4 miles or so.

Backpacks

I bought a Domke Photo Backpacker from B&H Photo in NYC. It is very tough and can be used as a case with built in strap or a backpack by unzipping the back cover. Has many compartments for accessories and lenses. Comes with a waterproof cover that can be installed if needed. Price was $169.00 plus freight. I like it very much after having it for a year. (-: