Thread: Newbie Looking For Advice

Newbie Looking For Advice

Hi folks,

New here and glad to be in such erudite company. I was hoping somebody could sort out a couple of basic queries for me. Just made the move up to large format. Used it years ago as a studio assistant when i was learning my trade. Since then have been making my living with small format cameras as a press photographer. The longer i have been using digital the more i hate it. Ok there are some advantages but a lot of the craft has gone from the job, hence moving to large format for my personal work. Bought an old De Vere metal monorail from a well known auction site for a good price. Can find virtually no trace of these cameras via google other than people getting them cheap as entry level LF. So to the questions..

1) The lens panel measures 140mm x 140mm. Is this the standard Sinar size if i need to get one for a planned wide angle lens purchase?

2) I'm interested in getting a 6x9 or 6x12 roll film back. Not so much cost cutting rather it seems like a interesting format to use. The back on the camera does not rotate, you have to take it off and re-attach it to change from upright to landscape. On the left-handside of the rear standard there is a flange that positions the ground glass and a swing lever that hold the whole thing in place. Is this what is classed as an international fitting? I'm pretty sure it's not the Graflok standard.

If anybody can help i will be grateful. Took a while to put all my kit together and it's a total pig to transport but when i saw the first Velvia 50 sheet on the light box i knew it was all worth while. Breathtaking. I thought my Leica lenses were sharp! Until then...
    I suspect a field camera might not be far off!

Thanks for your time, Iain.

Re: Newbie Looking For Advice

I think 140mm is an Arca Swiss size, but there is a lensboard database here Sorry I cant help with the back, that's not familiar to me. Cheers and welcome to the forum Iain.

I am not familiar with your camera either, but if you could post a picture of the back, we could probably tell you if it will take a rollfilm back. Welcome and congratulations on your purchase.
    Juergen

I just measured my Sinar, it is 139.2mm, so say 140mm.

The Sinar back is of the graflok design and will take the roll film backs.

Since are new, again, to lf I would suggest gettng a copy of the Sinar book on lf since it is written for their cameras and will explain their focussing system to you much better than a general intro to lf book.
    steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Hi there

Grateful for the input on my queries. Thanks for the lens panel link Colin. Checked it out and 14cm x 14cm is indeed listed as Arca Swiss standard. Interestingly Robert White photographic in the UK (Britain's biggest toy store!) have that size as Horseman/Sinar compatible. I guess a 14cm panel is a 14cm panel by whatever name.

Concerning the roll film holders/back issues i am following Juergen's advice and attatching a pic of the rear of the camera. As i understand it roll film holders come in two types. One design slots into the camera as a Polaroid holder or darkslide would and the second type replaces the groundglass holder after the camera has been focussed. Is this correct? The reason for the query is that the first type don't appear to be that common. I get most of my gear from a well known auction site and haven't seen that many going. Have to keep a lid on the costs..leaves more money for film. Any info gratefully received. Thanks again folks, Iain.

You are correct regarding the two types of roll film holders. The type that slides in like a cut film holder is most often found under the Calumet and Cambo labels. The other type requires a "Graflok" or "International" back. They have been made by many makers and still are. The most common perhaps are those made by Graflex. These come in knob and lever wind types, the knob ones being older.

i bought the graphlex "23" graphic 6x9 film holder for mine. once i got all the help loading the stupid thing, its great, the images are much sharper than shooting with my regular medium format, plus i can do all the cool movements that cant be done with my medium format. people were warning me about the pain of having to take off the glass and put on the film holder between each exposure, but it really isnt that bad, after looking at the images, its well worth it.