The last issue of View Camera has a profile of the work of David Fokos. Although it was the superb visualisation and images that initially attracted me, I am eq ually interested in the technical aspects of how his prints are produced. He pro duces an 8x10 negative through conventional means, which is then drum scanned an d printed on a LightJet 5000 - see this for the results, although Im not sure that my monitor do es justice to the pictures.

This article made me think again about a question I asked on this forum earl ier this year. Unfortunately even contact printing 4x5 has turned out not to be a viable option for me, although I do control everything up the processed negati ve. In the absence of being able to set up a conventional darkroom for printing, is the best option to get a good quality scanner and printer to "proof" images (such as the Powerlook / Epson 3000 combination mentioned by a poster to the pre vious thread)? For outstanding images, I suppose I could then choose to get a co nventional custom print prepared by a lab, or alternatively try something like t he approach taken by Mr Fokos - is his approach viable for the average LF "serio us amateur" photographer, such as myself? Or is the cost of his approach prohibi tive?

I would really appreciate the advice of those who understand the practical reali ties, quality differences and costs of the various options. I dont live in an E nglish speaking country, and it is nigh impossible to chat through the options w ith a lab / bureau.