Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix is coming!

Chamonix is coming!

Who the heck is Chamonix?

Well, it's a small town nestled at the foot of the Alps. Why does this ski resort have anything to do with wooden cameras?

The story goes that many years ago a Chinese mountaineer/LF photographer travelled and stayed there for a week and fell in love with this town of Chamonix. The only regret he felt about his wonderful trip was that his 12x20 camera and holders were simply too heavy for mountain climbing.

Returning back to China, he was determined to design and build a rigid but light-weight wooden camera for his mountain trips. Of course he copied some good parts from other camera manufactueres, but not mindlessly. He built his first camera in 2002, his photographer friends in China like his camera and asked him to build cameras for them. So he found a small factory in southern China and assembled 8 skilled craftmen to build wooden cameras. In 2004, he named his camera Chamonix for his love of that mountain village.

This love of beautiful camera has grown into a business. He and his workers have made and sold some 200 cameras in China and other countries in Asia. Unlike Shenhao, Chamonix has a cult-like following in China because it is a camera designed by a landscape photographer and made for landscape photographers. Light-weight, strong, very functional and beautiful workmanship.

I got to know Chamonix because I needed to have film holders custom made for my 10x20 camera. I was so impressed by those holders and decided to find home for some of their ULF cameras here.

After much probing, we have come to the conclusion that the traditional distribution method is simply too expensive and time consuming. Operation costs like dealer's markup, inventory and double shipping, will have to be added to customers final bill. So we would like to try a factory direct method. I will collect payments here and the factory will ship the camera to your door.

We have a few cameras each in the size of 7x17, 8x20, 12x20 and 20x24. One 14x17 left. Those fine cameras will be very attractively priced and will be sold first come first serve. After these cameras are sold, future orders will have six month waiting period. Because US government puts great pressure for the Chinese to revalue RMB, those who buy China-made stuff later may pay a higher price in dollars. I will post technical information and prices at For Sale section early next week. Chamonix also makes 4x5, 4x10, 5x7, 5x8 and 8x10 cameras and has inventory in some sizes.

OK, Hugo, you have done a nice pre-sales job for Chamonix so far. Some of us are really tempted to get our hands on these modestly priced and beautifully made Chamonix. What is the caveat?

1. The Chamonix is a relatively young company. As with all young companies, it needs time to build its fame.

2. Chamonix cameras were designed and built for landscape photographers. It is not as stronger and as heavy as Deardorff.

3. So far, less than 1% of its cameras has returned to the factory for repairs. The factory has a 20 month warranty period. If your camera needs repair in China, it's a long trip.

4. The owner of Chamonix is still learning to balance his passion for landscape photography and his duty as a business man. There are times I can't reach him for weeks because he is traveling in some remote area in China taking pictures.

5. Chamonix has no offices in US and Hugo is the only contact person. He has a full time job and he will try his best to help everyone. But there is no assurance that all inquiry will be answered in a timely manner.

Finally, I want to thank Kerry and Michael on behalf of Chamonix. They have spent their valuable time to introduce Chamonix to folks here. I also want to thank people at the View Camera magazine.

Re: Chamonix is coming!

Seems like a good idea to use the name of well-known place in the Alps for a new field camera, but according to the French Institut National de la Propriété Industrielle (INPI)....
    http://www.icimarques.com/
    ....Chamonix® is already a registered trade mark, registered at least 6 times as French trademark and at least once as an international trademark... at least in the French INPI records...

.. and is also a registered trademark in the USA...
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...h=Submit+Query
    But I do not expect a trademark battle between lawyers as hard as if the new camera was branded "Champagne" ;-)

Reminds me a Japanese brand of Hi-Fi equipment, 'Alpine' ;-)

Good luck !

Thanks for the information, Emmanuel! So here is another caveat:

7. You will be using a wooden camera with questionable trade mark issues, the factory may have to change the camera's name when forced to.

I've been to Chamonix. Beautiful beautiful town, valley, and state of mind.

It's is interesting that in France and the US one can trademark a town's name. Imagine trademarking New York or Paris or London or Moscow?

I'm sure the trademarks are not for competitive cameras. Since Chamonix is registered at least 6 times, then it is reasonable to assume it can be registered a 7th time for this camera company. Unless there is another camera manufacturer using the name.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Returning back to China, he was determined to design and build a rigid but light-weight wooden camera for his mountain trips. Of course he copied some good parts from other camera manufactueres, but not mindlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Seems like a good idea to use the name of well-known place in the Alps for a new field camera, but according to the French Institut National de la Propriété Industrielle (INPI)....
    http://www.icimarques.com/
    ....Chamonix® is already a registered trade mark, registered at least 6 times as French trademark and at least once as an international trademark... at least in the French INPI records...

.. and is also a registered trademark in the USA...
    Trademarked? As if that were any problem for the Chinese! For China to become a free and successful democratic country it must learn much ,much more than just copying and stealing what the people in other democratic countries have created. Seems that the Chinese photographer didn't get the idea while admiring Chamonix.

Sooooo.....what are the prices for the cameras? How much is shipping?

Dave Karp

Is this the enterprise that Kerry is involved with? Can you tell us when your website will be fully operational with all of the information, including specs and pricing?

Dave Karp

I am not an intellectual property lawyer, but I worked for a company that used place names for its product lines for the precise reason that it was extremely difficult (at least under U.S. I.P. law) to claim I.P. rights in the name unless there was a confusingly similar product line out there already. This is not legal advice, but if you are concerned a quick trip to an I.P. lawyer should sort things out.
    Last edited by David Karp; 17-Mar-2007 at 08:47. Reason: incomplete

wfwhitaker

...4. The owner of Chamonix is still learning to balance his passion for landscape photography and his duty as a business man. There are times I can't reach him for weeks because he is traveling in some remote area in China taking pictures...
    Wow, almost Wisner-esque!

...Finally, I want to thank Kerry and Michael on behalf of Chamonix. They have spent their valuable time to introduce Chamonix to folks here. I also want to thank people at the View Camera magazine.
    From the looks of it, you should thank Dick Phillips, too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Is this the enterprise that Kerry is involved with?
    As a matter of public record, I want it to be clear that I, Kerry L. Thalmann, do not use, recommend, endorse, import, distribute, sell, service or support Chamonix cameras or film holders. I do not represent the company in any capacity. Henceforth, I do not want my name associated with the Chamonix products or their business dealings in any way, shape or form.

Sincerely,
    Kerry L. Thalmann