Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix is coming!

Re: Chamonix is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I am not an intellectual property lawyer, but I worked for a company that used place names for its product lines for the precise reason that it was extremely difficult (at least under U.S. I.P. law) to claim I.P. rights in the name unless there was a confusingly similar product line out there already. This is not legal advice, but if you are concerned a quick trip to an I.P. lawyer should sort things out.
    Trademarks are issued in the context of products. Because Chamonix is trademarked for some things does not give it blanket protection for all products. Hugo, you can probably trademark Chamonix in the US for photographic products..Evan Clarke

I think the tone of the discussion reflects my original impression of the LF/ULF crowd. It's not as bad as the Leica crowd, but can be on occasions.

So the thread starts with a good news : because I feel that anyone who produce anything new in the fiom industry and help it toward self-sustainability is a good news, whether it's from Antartica, China or Canada.

And then, as usual, there is a pack of what I can only picture as "small dogs" barge in and start barking; not always the same people mind you, pick any 3 or 5. You can see that happening in many topics. Post a joke message about "Ilford vs Kodak" and I'm sure by the second page some "venerable" persons will already have started with the snipe comments and personal attacks.

In this case, wether a business deal fell thru between a company and a potential distributor (or whatever) does not interest me. These things happend. I don't know any of the participants anyway. If they want to explain to the world their version of the issue, they can always open a blog!

What interests me is the price, disponibility and experience of people who have bought the goods. Not the barking of people who will never do anyway.

It is good for the ULF community to have more competition (as to how much, time will tell), but I am concerned for Kerry's efforts. But there are always two sides to every story. Perhaps the financial arrangements could not be agreed upon. As with any business, customer service and reputation will be 'fettered' out over time. I am sure over time buyers will report results here.

Regardless of the distributorship situation there are reviews and specs of the Ritter and Chamonix 7x17 cameras in the March/April 07 issue of View Camera. There are advantages and disadvantages to each camera.

We will try and proceed with the ULF fim holder reviews and critiques but it will be up to Mr. Zang to provide us with samples from Chamonix now that it is his program.

steve simmons
    view camera magazine

Hugo: If Kerry spent time and energy doing the groundwork for you, the least you could do is pay him with a nice new camera.

What does everyone else think about this idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    ..What does everyone else think about this idea?
    The same thing I think about most of the other "discussion" in this thread. It's none of our business; strictly between the parties involved.

For those who personally know one or the other of the parties involved I would agree that some public (or even private) acknowledgment, statement, clarification, or comment might be in order.

Something still seems very fishy. After all, at least one of the parties involved was excited about their participation in the venture and saw interesting and fun potential.

For those who don't wish to know the details, do you really want another Wisner on your hands? Do you really feel that "business" trumps all else?

I personally saw the 7x17 in question. It is indeed a very nice camera. But until I understand what's happened, I'm voting with my money and will spend it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Hugo: If Kerry spent time and energy doing the groundwork for you, the least you could do is pay him with a nice new camera.

What does everyone else think about this idea?

Any new large format product, even from a niche sized indie outfit is welcome. Guess I'm still naive to think that as I read the sheer lack of grace in some of the putrid comments here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    The same thing I think about most of the other "discussion" in this thread. It's none of our business; strictly between the parties involved.
    Completely agree. There is always a tendency to want to evaluate and hash these situations out at the personal level when it is strictly business and as a result, emotion must be checked at the door. Get over it and go make some photographs - spring is in the air......

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Perez View Post
    ...For those who don't wish to know the details, do you really want another Wisner on your hands?...
    Christopher, I'm as curious as the next person. But, until Kerry or Hugo post "the details," I'm content to let them and the manufacturer sort out everything in private.

Since I have no burning desire to purchase another camera anytime soon, waiting years to see whether Chamonix turns out like Wisner is no problem for me.