Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF in Boulder/Denver ?

LF in Boulder/Denver ?

I'm going to visit next week -from the UK- and I wonder if there are any shops of interest ? I might also look for one of these Viper IR goggle gizmos... So if you know an appropriate shop, feel free to post about it

Re: LF in Boulder/Denver ?

If you need large format film, Jones Pharmacy in Boulder has a limited selection. For large format equipment and film, try the Camera Trader in Englewood (Denver).

there is not much in the way of stores for LF, but make sure to check out this gallery in denver

http://www.cameraobscuragallery.com/

It's been a long time since I was in Boulder but Mike's Camera had a lot of equipment - tripods - bags - etc. may want to google & call first though

As for night vision goggles, you might try the Boulder Army Store.

Mike's didn't have much LF stuff when I lived in Boulder in '96. I would pick up stuff at Jones Drug mostly.
    Robert Oliver

Photographer

Also, check out Photographers' Gallery on 3rd Avenue in the Cherry Creek North area. Not all large format, but all photography.
    Keith Pitman

Photographer

This place on South Broadway in Englewood (suburban Denver) used to sell Linhof gear. I haven't been in there in years, so I don't know if they still do.

http://www.sandsoptika.com/

I probably have more gear (and definitely more interesting) in my equipment closet than most shops in the Denver/Boulder area. You would do better shopping on Ebay for equipment.

The Friday edition of the Denver Post usually has a good listing of shows and there are usually several photographic shows worth seeing. As mentioned above, Camera Obscura is a must do, and I do recommend Photographers' Gallery: www.photogallerydenver.com.
    Keith Pitman

Eric Biggerstaff

Camera Trader is sort of fun to dig around in, I have not been in a long time but a friend of mine who posts here often finds good deals there. There was a good place in downtown Denver (Wasatch Camara?) but I am not sure it is there anymore. Mikes doesn't do LF and very little other than digital anymore.

I buy everything online as little is available here anymore. Kind of sad given the number of LF photographers in the area.

As mentioned, the Camera Obscura is a fine gallery to go to and dig around in. It is right across the street from the Denver Art Museum ( the DAM) which has a new wing that would be fun to photograph. There are several art galleries in the lower downtown area ( LODO ) that represent all types of art. In addition, LODO has many fun places to eat and a nice nightlife.

Not sure what part of the town you will be in but there is probably something fun in most areas and the weather is supposed to be nice for the next couple of weeks, so I think you picked a nice time to visit.

Have fun and let us know how your visit goes. If you get stuck drop me a line and I will try and think of a few ideas.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Camera trader has little LF gear, slightly more MF and lots of 35mm film. Still great people to talk to and always something on one of the displays that might catch your eye.

Stew