Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you treat others?

How do you treat others?

The 'meeting famous photographers' thread got me to thinking. While I haven't met all that many famous photographers, all the ones I have met were real gentlemen and a genuine delight to speak with---not at all like the stereotypical altruistic "famous arteest" we see portrayed in fiction. So heres my question to us not famous (dare I say---"infamous?") photographers:
    How do you treat others when you meet the public, either in the field or when showing your prints?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: How do you treat others?

I know some get annoyed by curious persons met in the field while shooting, but personally I enjoy the encounter. As long as it is not some "informed" person who just spent a gazillion dollars on a new digital that is in every way better than my analog stuff, and who wants to tell me all about it.

I like sharing the view of the groundglass with someone who has never seen it before. "It's upside down!!!" is usually the first comment. Most are impressed, and I think those of us who shoot B&W forget the groundglass is in vivid color, and quite pretty to look at.

A Polaroid back is fun to share with kids. I helped a kid take a picture of a bull moose in Glacier National, and he was excited to walk away with a print. I think most of us have probably forgotten too that most kids have probably never seen a Polaroid print, and that is kind of gee-whiz to them too.

It should all boil down to that categorical imperative - how would YOU like to be treated?

Dave Karp

I love to show people what you can see on the GG. Unless I am working with fading light, or have to get the photo right then, I always let them take a peek under the darkcloth and explain until they don't want any more explaining. If I am in a rush, I explain politely, and then finish my photo. Then if they stuck around, I will let them take a look if they want.

Who knows? Maybe someone will get the bug, and they can help us keep film around so we can all keep having fun.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Respect.

When I am shown a print for critique, I never just trash the print. If there's something wrong and I can't succinctly say what it is, then I don't say it. For instance, years ago a fellow working at a camera store I frequented showed me a print, mountain and trees. I said that it was OK, and asked what camera he used. Something bugged me about that print, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know, years later. Half the picture was the mountain (order), and the other half was the pine trees (chaos). But it wasn't a good chaos, so it didn't quite do anything for the photo. But since I couldn't succinctly say what bugged me, I kept my mouth shut.

Of course, though, there are many photographers that I'd like to ask, "When you make a photograph, what do you think you are photographing?"

I always try to be polite and like others, I often ask if they want to look through the ground glass. I've only gotten irritated a couple times, when people went on and on and on about something of absolutely no interest while the light was changing and I wanted to get the photograph before I lost it. I used to get stopped all the time with questions about the wood and brass Tachihara. I don't think the Master Technika ever generated a single question, people probably thought I was a surveyer.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

When I want their opinion, I'll beat it out of 'em.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Confidently Agnostic!

I'm about as far from a famous photographer as you can get, but I usually enjoy meeting other photographers out in the real world, whether on the streets or out in the country. Actually I can't think of a single negative experience.

At one spot near Banff that I go to occasionally, I'll see an endless parade of people on tight vacation schedules pulling up, snapping a shot or two, and then taking off, while I'm waiting for sunset. Some of them are quite nice to talk to, I meet quite a few foreigners there from a variety of different backgrounds. It's also sort of amusing feeling like you're trapped in a slow motion time-warp.

I tell them that I have candy in my car.

Some of the best people I've ever met has been through photography. Workshops and the forums allow a country wide net of assistance.

I've enjoyed chatting with people...the only bummer is that the "speil" gets old after a while. Kinda feels like one of those poor souls that runs a booth at a trade show.

I've typically found that if I'm in a pinch situation and I don't have time to yap that wearing headphones usually keeps people from approaching me. Whether you listen to music or not is your choice. A lot of people don't want to talk, they'd rather sit back and watch.

Most of the people I've met have been really nice. NYC is a great place to shoot.

--A