Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use 777 Panthermic film developer?

Anyone use 777 Panthermic film developer?

FromThe Frugal Photographer in Canada? Is it the same as Harveys? It claims to be the same stuff used by 'Life' togs.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Anyone use 777 Panthermic film developer?

One of my first teachers, Charles Harbutt, mentioned that it was his choice. I took that workshop in 1976; I never tried 777, or even thought about it again, until I saw the recent article on unblinkingeye.com. From that I gather that it works best with large volumes of film, which would count me out.

I've just started trying 777. Haven't formed an opinion on it yet.

From what I've read it is better with older style emulsions. The unblinkingeye.com website have some info on it. Some examples are on flicker.com

An interesting developer, quite different from all the current commercial mixes. Unfortunately, available today only in large quantities. It was HC-B's standard soup.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Bill,

One gallon of the stuff isn't a large quantity, is it?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    An interesting developer, quite different from all the current commercial mixes. Unfortunately, available today only in large quantities. It was HC-B's standard soup.

I didn't think HC-B did any of his own lab work?

John, the last time I checked, 777 was sold only in a 5 gallon size.
    Gene, it's not clear to me whether he developed his film himself while away from Paris for weeks or months at a time, or sent it back to Gassman, or carried it back himself at the end of the assignment. I have tried without success to determine this, but whoever did do his developing, apparently it was always doped in 777.
    It would certainly make good sense to use a Panthermic developer when on the road.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I used Germain's finegrain for a fair amount of time and is is VERY finegrained, on Tmax 100, I couldn't see the grain in my magnifier!

Water 700cc 125 deg.
    Metol 7g.
    Sodium Sulfite 70g.
    Paraphenylenediamine 7g.
    Glycin 7g.
    Water to 1 liter

Dilute 1:1, can be replenished with 20-25% fresh developer. I use it one-shot.

EC

Germain's sounds interesting too.
    The Frugal Photographer's pitch for 777 Panthermic says that it was also the choice of W Eugene Smith and Andre Kertesz. It might be worthwhile to try a gallon of the stuff.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Germain's sounds interesting too.
    The Frugal Photographer's pitch for 777 Panthermic says that it was also the choice of W Eugene Smith and Andre Kertesz. It might be worthwhile to try a gallon of the stuff.
    john

from what i understand it is a formula owned by bluegrass packaging in kentucky.
    patented formula i think ... maybe the folks in canada are buying 5 gal's at a time and selling smaller quantities, or they are selling pre-mixed "kits" using the formula from the unblinkingeye article --- http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Harvey/harvey.html .
    when i spoke with the lady that mixes/packages the stuff (at bluegrass), she kind of laughed at the speculation about what it was made of, and said " that article on the internet is way off" (the unblinkingeye article).

when you use it, don't forget to mellow it by using it a bunch and exhausting it a little bit. when i used a lot of dk50 in tanks i always left about 1/3 the tank to mellow out the new developer we were adding ...

good luck!

john