Thread: ULF Heavy Duty Temporary Storage Bags

ULF Heavy Duty Temporary Storage Bags

Perhaps everyone already knows this, but walking through Lowe's today I found a "must-have" for ULF: Ziploc XL storage bags. 2 feet v 1.7 feet! The bottom is pleated so it can expand. Perfect for 14x17 film holders or even an 11x14 camera. $6 for 4 bags. They also have a similar "large" bag that is 15"x15". I just thought I'd pass along perhaps the only reasonably priced ULF purchase I've made.

Mike

Re: ULF Heavy Duty Temporary Storage Bags

Mike,

Thanks!

John

They also come one or two sizes larger than XL, an XXL for sure, and they work well as a rain cover for a tripod mounted camera.

Yes, these bags are good for storage; however I have found them to be statically charged. They seem to attract bits of dust and other particles so I would not use them as film holder bags unless you can make the static free.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gary892 View Post
    Yes, these bags are good for storage; however I have found them to be statically charged. They seem to attract bits of dust and other particles so I would not use them as film holder bags unless you can make the static free.

Gary
    I use plastic bags for temporary transportation of plastic holders in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 into the field but I stay away from them with hooden holders because of the fact that wooden film holders need to breathe in variable moisture conditions. Another important criteria for me is the fact that ULF holders are not as "light tight" as their counterparts in smaller formats and benefit significantly from being contained in a light tight septum into and back from the field. That is not a dig on these holders it simply is what it is.

Considering what one pays for ULF holders, I like some additional padding with the septum but it is not absolutely necessary. These are not difficult to make with light tight material and some velcro but I went the easy route and had Strebor make me mine in several ULF sizes. They are not cheap, but what is in ULF?

Cheers!