Thread: Large Format Sierra Mule Trip II

Large Format Sierra Mule Trip II

Wile E. Coyote is at it again. With lessons learned from the last time, the Acme kit preparation is under way again. And at the base of the Sierras, there really are roadrunners to see...rather large birds at that.

Recap of last time - mules are a great way to travel, and good for hauling gear. Mosquitoes are bad news, and not drinking enough water is also bad news. But the Sierras, riding and all the rest were great. We want to go again this year, this time with either 4x10 or 8x10, and a campsite not surrounded by deep/fast streams.

Possible locations - Humphreys Basin, Rainbow Falls and beyond (Minnarets/Devils Postpile), and the spring/summer livestock drive through the Sierras. More than 2 days, less than 5 days. Camping under the stars, shooting LF, and trading stories. This time, we'll pick a time and location that avoids most of the nasty biting insects.

If we go 30 miles+ back in ( 4 days ), walking might not be so good, however we could probably offer space on a pack mule for gear if a hiker needs it, shared cost. We can do up to about 10 people at a time in the wilderness - otherwise, they might not issue a permit for the trip.

For mule riding, you need to be 200 lbs or less. They do have some large critters though - last time, I rode a half-draft mule who was gentle, powerful and extremely skilled at climbing steep, narrow, rocky trails. Highly recommended creatures for mountain work.

It's early in this year's project, so there is time to get it together. Anyone interested?

Re: Large Format Sierra Mule Trip II

Sounds like I'm over the weight limit these days for mule riding. During all of the 80's I packed miles and built trails for the US Forest Service (CA coastal range). Worked with the same animals pretty much for those ten years -- good beasts...including, Joe, an all white mule such as you described that you rode.

I photographed during the my winters off. Rarely did I ever take a camera out into the wilderness with the mules...8 hours of using pick-axe, cross-cut saw and Pulaski, with a couple hours of taking care of the mules, never seemed to leave a lot of time and energy to photograph.

I'll have to pass on the trip. It would be difficult to explain to my wife why she needs to use her vacation time to stay home and watch the kids, while I am off in the mountains photographing! Good luck in organizing the trip!

Vaughn

Would the trip be anywhere near the emigrant wilderness?

Vaughn - I'm probably headed up to Northern Cal pretty soon for photos - maybe the wife would let you do some photography in Garberville/Eureka area. If there has been enough rain, I love the pastures and scenes around there so much. Also, if the climb is less steep, you might get away with 235 lbs for the rider in some cases, provided they have a couple of large critters around.

Emigrant Wilderness is a bit north of where I was thinking, and probably not open very much until mid to late summer due to snow. I have not investigated the various pack outfitters in that area yet, however it is a stunningly beautiful part of California. Draw a line between Bishop and Yosemite, then put a circle around that - that's sort of what I'm thinking for this time - many, many choices of places to go. I'm leaning toward places that are at or below tree line for camps, because it gets pretty barren above 10,000 ft.

Because it's a bit early, we're pretty flexible.

If anyone wants to discuss details, drop me a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K. View Post
    Vaughn - I'm probably headed up to Northern Cal pretty soon for photos - maybe the wife would let you do some photography in Garberville/Eureka area. If there has been enough rain, I love the pastures and scenes around there so much. Also, if the climb is less steep, you might get away with 235 lbs for the rider in some cases, provided they have a couple of large critters around.
    Late geting back to you, Ed...

Contact me when you come up this way...I can usually find a way to get out and photograph. I am the tech for the university's darkroom and usually all I have to do is tell my boss (one of the photo professors) that I need to go photograph and he is fine with me taking the day off.

That said, my wife is going to Australia in a week (for 3 weeks), taking one of our 10 year old boys. So if I go out photographing during that time, I have to take the other two boys and work around their school times...and I'll be camping somewhere (w/ 8x10) with the two boys during their Spring Break (the weekend of Easter and the week that follows). So we'll see what happens!

We caught up with our "normal" rainfall in February...things are looking good.

Vaughn

I am definitely interested. Do you have a schedule or idea of dates you are considering? Would you hire tentage and meals?

ageorge -

After doing a lot of research last time, I found that most photogs don't want to spend the money it would take to hire a cook and all of that. Tents (if that's what you mean by tentage) are a personal matter, and not very expensive at that.

I'm thinking toward the later part of summer, in the fall now. There won't be many biting insects then, and there should be nice colors. I'm leaning toward the Minarettes out of Devil's Postpile, which has cabins and a cafe for the first and last night if anyone wants to do fishing / have meals prepared, however once we're out riding, it's all what we put for ourselves on the mules. I'm also leaning toward Pine Creek, a very steep climb up into the back country / John Muir Wilderness. I doubt that many folks here have the saddle endurance or finances to make it way into the Ansel Adams wilderness for more than a week, but who knows?

Costs amount to the need for a guide, pack and riding stock, permit and whatever supplies a person has to bring plus their gear.

As the date is in the future, I'm flexible right now, open to ideas. I would suggest that any interested folks contact me with a private message so that we don't have to share all our plans with the vast Google space, and also so that we could eventually conference on the phone to ensure that all needs can be met.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

There's gel packs for bicycles. Maybe there's something similar for saddles.

Yes! Surgical Gel Seat Cushion
    Last edited by Brian C. Miller; 15-Mar-2007 at 19:38. Reason: added link