Thread: Another N00b

Another N00b

Hello all. Been lurking for a couple of weeks, seems like a pretty nice place to visit.
    I've been photographing for most of my life, off and on, but not professionally. I've been doing darkroom most of the time as well. I got my 4x5 probably 12 or so years ago, but haven't really ever done much with it. Just don't think I ever got comfortable with it. Still lots of mystery surrounding the movements.
    At any rate I really haven't had time to do much photography for some time. My parents are retired and have been doing lots of the Arizona Highways workshops. They decided they want to take me on a trip to some canyon accessible via helicopter. So, now out comes the camera so I can try to figure out how to use it again. Also, trying to figure out what I need to buy for this trip. I need a tripod head and I've already read all the religous ballhead threads.

I do a little bit of collecting as well, since my stuff isn't all that good. :-)

Anyway, that's the short story.

Kermit

Re: Another N00b

Welcome from Vancouver, Kermit; this is a fun neighbourhood. Hope you make the Grand Canyon before that hideous viewing platform and planned suspension bridge are finished. Cheers, Uri

Hi Kermit, welcome from Hawaii.

Welcome to the LF Forum, Kermit.

You might consider getting a Polaroid holder and a couple of boxes of 4x5 Polaroids to practice with prior to the trip. That's a quick way to re-learn the basics. There are also a number of articles on the Home Page here that you may find helpful.

Dave Karp

My good friend helped me more with understanding the movements than anyone. He told me to always remember that the front tilts and swigs affect focus (plane of focus), while the rear movements affect perspective. Once I had that in my head, everything fell into place.

Simmons's Using the View Camera and Stones's A User's Guide to the View Camera have good sections on movements that will also help you very much.

Welcome! This is a great place to learn technique. You may consider a trial-by-fire approach that I imposed upon myself a while back. When learning the basics of view camera technique in the field I found myself in a rut - I kept reverting back to 35mm because of its ease and familiarity. I decided to take an extended trip with just my 4X5 - it was VERY hard to leave without small format backup, but that was the key. By the end of the trip I was shooting (moving) tundra swan in the rain without to much difficulty. Consider Ralph's advice to help avoid any nasty surprises, and have fun out there!

I have a poloroid back, but I didn't realize the film costs what it does!
    Thanks for the welcome. I kind of want to take my Mamiya7 on the trip, but I just don't know about any more weight. I don't really have the specifics of the trip yet, but there is some issue about how much you can take on the helicopter. Not as worried about my back, we'll see.

Thanks again. Hopefully I can contribute at some point!