Thread: Help....Epson 4000 Problem!!

Help....Epson 4000 Problem!!

Anyone experience this problem? I have an Epson 4000 with K-7 inks which usually prints beautifully with QTR. Last night, on two prints out of 6, the printer suddenly stopped mid-image, sucked the paper (Han Photo Rag) back into the printer and started printing again from the beginning, over the original printed area (not registered). Made a mess of the print and wasted the ink and paper. Each time I stop the print job, cleared the paper, reset the printer and shut the printer off. Then restarted the printer, printed one good print and the same thing happened on the second print. I received no error messages, either on the printer screen or on my computer. Can anyone hepl me?? Thanks Tom

Re: Help....Epson 4000 Problem!!

Contact QTR, they are pretty good about answering questions.

I have never had any problem with QTR for my 2200.

Wow, that's a weird one. I'm like Ron, I've never had a problem with QTR and my 2200. Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the Epson driver? I don't know why but sometimes that seems to fix strange problems.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have an Epson Ultrachrome 9600 printer using the Imageprint RIP. There have been times when I have had the printer stop, and indicate out of paper, when in fact there is a full roll of paper still on the machine. This is due to dust or something getting on the optical sensor that detects paper in the machine. Not your problem, but there can be many problems with big printers.

I have a 4000, and it's kind of quirky at times. My recent problem is that the images are a little slanted on the paper. Not a lot, but enough to notice. This is one problem I need to fix. Not sure yet what the problem is.

Given that I would only have a single wide-format, I would still select the 4000. I like being able to easily switch back and forth between matte and gloss type papers, I get very nice results on H. Photo Rag, and it's excellent at printing digital negatives.

Not sure this is it, but maybe worth trying as I had a simlar problem once:

There is a light-sensor on the 4000/7600/9600 that senses when paper is loaded or not. This can get dirty and send erroneous or variable "paper not loaded" info to the printer. Also, it can get confused if your printer is near very bright light that can shine through the paper, like sunlight or even a nearby lamp, which over-rides the built-in light.

The sensor is the little hole in the back plate down in the feed slot at the right-hand edge of the paper track. I blew the heck out of it with canned air and solved my issues.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Tom,

If you are using Panther you need the USB patch from Roy Harrington:

http://harrington.com/QuadToneRIP.html

Click on the link "Panther 10.3 and 70/75/90/9500 USB Problem" to download the patch.

My client had the same problem as you with his 4000 and the patch fixed it.

Best,

John