Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The New Color: The Return of Black-and-White

Re: The New Color: The Return of Black-and-White

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    "Good writing is clear thinking made visible".
    Yes, and if you are writing for a general audience you are not serving your own interests by not defining the terms that you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    OK, I don't disagree with the don't use jargon for jargon's sake argument, however jargon is also a shorthand which facilitates communication at some level and in some cases very precise meaning is desired. It may be that when you don't understand what is being said you aren't the intended audience, or maybe some effort on your part is required. This isn't limited to art; e.g. there are a lot of physics papers available on the web which I can read but wouldn't understand without a lot of effort.
    +1 (i.e. I agree with this statement.)

All my lousy photographs I sign with the name Monty , works for me.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    This isn't limited to art; e.g. there are a lot of physics papers available on the web which I can read but wouldn't understand without a lot of effort.
    Is the use of physics jargon for the sake of jargon, or is it to convey complex information between experts in the field? For instance, Virtual Journal of Atomic Quantum Fluids this month has an article on "Properties of Bose-Einstein Condensates and Bose Systems in Lower Dimensions." In this case, the jargon is used to precisely convey quantifiable information. While XKCD may have some fun with it and a Popular Science article would need to define a few things, everybody knows precisely what is being discussed.

When art "terminology" is used, the definitions tend to be historical, histrionic, and sometimes hysterical. Disambiguation of the terminology would leave the art world completely bereft of terminology. The only reason there is terminology in the art world is because its jaded bullshitocracy needs to justify itself. Instead of genetic inbreeding, it's an inbreeding of ideas. The Dada "movement" led to the acceptance of "found objects" (toilets and trash), which of course led to others copying the "form," which leads to a bullshitocracy to make up words to lend legitimacy to a bunch of poser junk. Thus, we have the word, "auratic," which basically means that something is art because someone who claims to be an artist says that an object or action is art.

No, actually I think I was pretty clear about physics papers not being jargon for the sake of jargon. The point was that in aesthetics (which presumably I think you were referring to as 'art "terminology"') it needn't be either.

Dominik

Since according to this article B/W is on the rise again we should found a new movement and write a manifest. Group or movement name something like the B/Wees or BWralists and title of the manifest Abolish Color or something along those lines

Dominik

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Since according to this article B/W is on the rise again we should found a new movement and write a manifest. Group or movement name something like the B/Wees or BWralists and title of the manifest Abolish Color or something along those lines

Dominik
    Neo-monochromists. "Nemos" for short.

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Neo-monochromists. "Nemos" for short.

...Mike
    Nemo = Nobody. Perfect!

We should start by getting rid of the term "monochrome". Black and white aren't colors. Although I suppose grey is. Kinda.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

In I.T., I sometimes use excessive Jargon for Jargon's sake, so I can B.S. without lying or so I won't have to explain things to someone who really doesn't need to know. Something was diagnosed as a Pebkac problem, or using the term "cloud computing service" to mean "handled off site because your inhouse expert is the problem".

IT people do use it to facilitate communications between themselves to a small extent, but we also mock it's use in news articles, press releases, and "white papers". Excessive and needless Jargon is indeed a matter of taste, and too much is bad taste that sets off the BS detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    We should start by getting rid of the term "monochrome". Black and white aren't colors. Although I suppose grey is. Kinda.
    antichromist? Sounds kind of ominous. neo-antichromist. post-neo-antichromist.

...Mike