Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Lightroom

Adobe Lightroom

Is anyone using Adobe Lightroom? I've been playing with it a bit, and was just interested in your thoughts on the program. It seems geared for the digital photographer, but I was thinking about using it to manage my 35mm and 4x5 slides.

Re: Adobe Lightroom

I love Lightroom. And yes I use it with my dSLR. I've used Aperture, Capture One, Bibble & the Adobe Bridge/Photoshop combo. Personally I find that Lighroom is the most intuitive RAW converter that I've tried. I'm not sure how valuable it is as a DAM tool though. I think Aperture migth be better, but I have a suspicion that dedicated databse solutions would be even better.

I have used Lightroom since its first beta and have found it very useful for my digital work. It is particularly valuable for assignments with large volumes of images. My son uses it for his LF film work. Once an image is digitized whether it is from film or a digital camera it needs to be organized and Lightroom does it well.

The development history is rather unique. Adobe used photographers to make this one of the most valuable pieces of software available for photographers. They really listened to what we said and added features that would not have been there had we not asked for them. We spent a full year together tweaking this thing. It's pretty slick and we've asked for more in v 2.0!

Bill Koechling
    www.koechlingphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    It seems geared for the digital photographer, but I was thinking about using it to manage my 35mm and 4x5 slides.
    To specifically answer your question, Robert... I think Lightroom is perfect for scanned film. Most of my stock library is in the form of scanned film or B&W prints. These all need keywording and organization. Lightroom is a great tool for doing this. It is also great for exporting images to the web, for slide shows, or for print.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Koechling View Post
    To specifically answer your question, Robert... I think Lightroom is perfect for scanned film.
    Thanks Bill, I have the trial version, but wanted some feedback from others before buying it. My biggest concern was because I'm a film shooter. I'll work with the program over the weekend and try it out.

Thanks Bill, I have the trial version, but wanted some feedback from others before buying it. My biggest concern was because I'm a film shooter. I'll work with the program over the weekend and try it out.
    The trial version has expired so you won't be working with it this weekend. To try Lightroom now you must purchase a copy. The beta copies quit woorking Feb. 28th.

Don Bryant

And one more thing about Lightroom. It couldn't handle very large files for me, the size you might have for scans of 4x5 color tranies.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    And one more thing about Lightroom. It couldn't handle very large files for me, the size you might have for scans of 4x5 color tranies.

Don Bryant
    The largest file that Lightroom can currently handle is 10,000 x 10,000 pixels.
    Clearly this will handle most digital cameras and moderate to largish scans. It cannot handle larger scans or stitched images larger than this. Future versions may be able to handle these large files.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Koechling; 9-Mar-2007 at 13:52. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    The trial version has expired so you won't be working with it this weekend. To try Lightroom now you must purchase a copy. The beta copies quit woorking Feb. 28th.

Don Bryant

No, the trial version still works. I just installed it last night. I think you are thinking of the beta version.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Koechling View Post
    The largest file that Lightroom can currently handle is 10,000 x 10,000 pixels.
    Clearly this will handle most digital cameras and moderate to largish scans. It cannot handle larger scans or stitched images larger than this. Future versions may be able to handle these large files.

Bill
    Thanks Bill, I'll have to look at this. I'm sure it will handle the files from my Epson 4990, I don't scan them very big. I'll have to re-size the drum scans into something more manageable.