Thread: Cuba: Inexpensive Flight ?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Cuba: Inexpensive Flight ?

Got the bug and think that I can get State Department approval to travel there. US rules require that approved US citizens fly in. Does anyone know of an inexpensive flight in? I'm thinking of touring the island on my bicycle taking a Field 45cf and series 0 CF Gitzo tripod, Harrison pup, ten holders, B&W and color negative film. Thinking 2 weeks.

Thomas

Re: Cuba

you might check with Steve Anchell. He has run several trips there in recent years. He may have some good info for you

Thanks Z!

Thomas

Unfortunately Steve's website is "forbidden."

Thomas

steve@steveanchell.com

also PM'd another way to contact him. If that fails I can find a phone number in old e mail.

(Shrek)

The normal, 'unofficial' way to go is through Canada, I gather, though all flights southbound from Canada have their passenger lists reported to US Homeland Security (how Orwellian!) so it's not as off-the-record as people think. There are thousands of flights yearly, it's a popular vacation spot especially from Quebec. From your location, you may find cheaper flights from Mexico, or the DR. You may be required to book a hotel for the duration of your stay in order to get a visa from Cuba.

Cuba is a LF photographer's dream. Half Soviet concrete, half medieval farms, with a few 1950s American cars thrown into the mix. And baseball. Lots of drunken baseball.

Westjet from Vancouver or Calgary would most likely be your cheapest method. My wife and I spent a week in Havana at the end of February and ran into several American couples who had entered Cuba via Mexico. Customs in Cuba was weird, perhaps because we went on a charter that included the hotel in Havana, but it consisted of standing in customs line, then standing on footprints and having photo taken and that was it, both coming and leaving Cuba.

You might have extra expenses and hassle as it seemed to me that the biggest obstacle of going to Cuba, at least for a Canadian, is the weight restrictions of the airlines at 20 kg and 5 kg carry on although apparently camera bag counts the same as a computer bag and is not part of your carry on however with Sunwing our carrier they were not able to tell us if the 5 kg weight limit applied.

If riding down the National Highway expect to encounter moments where a brand new Peugeot or Mercedes is passing you at the moment you are passing an ox cart loaded with fruit and people. Cuba is such a mixture of old and new, cheap and expensive, totally restored colonial buildings next door to shells of old buildings crumbling while they wait for restoration. If you go, pack toilet paper for your own use and toothpaste to give out to the locals you meet. Cuban people are friendly and wonderful but at the same time quit willing to take advantage of you if they can.

My wife and I are going back but not to Havana as the south coast (Trinidad Cuba area) seems to have so much to offer as well. If you go you will enjoy yourself. If you think you need to use a credit or bank card, first of all they are accepted at few places and secondly they will not accept one drawn on an American bank even if you are a Canadian, for example my American Express would not be honoured whereas my MasterCard from Bank of Montreal would be.

There are also several Canadian tour companies that offer Bike tours of Cuba, if you have not visited their sites you may get hints and advise there as well. Good luck and enjoy

Thanks redrockcoulee! I checked out Westjet and although their flights into Cuba are seasonal - ends next month but starts back up in October which is better for me and the light would be better in late October early November too - so they are under serious consideration. Great idea about checking the bike tour companies and I will. I'm not really interested in peddling every mile - just using the bike for transportation in village and urban areas and to access the coast. I'm planning on circling the island like I did a few years back in Crete but this time using the train which runs the breadth of the island. Planning on either a two or three trip.

Thomas

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Thanks redrockcoulee! I checked out Westjet and although their flights into Cuba are seasonal - ends next month but starts back up in October which is better for me and the light would be better in late October early November too - so they are under serious consideration. Great idea about checking the bike tour companies and I will. I'm not really interested in peddling every mile - just using the bike for transportation in village and urban areas and to access the coast. I'm planning on circling the island like I did a few years back in Crete but this time using the train which runs the breadth of the island. Planning on either a two or three trip.

Thomas

Thomas
    Was not aware that Westjet was seasonal to Cuba but would not go in the Summer anyways. When planning your trip remember that bus and train schedules are considered suggestions not committments. The bikes I did notice over there were mostly old ones but there was a nice Kona mtn bike in Havana and a few others of similiar quality. Supposedly parts like tires or tubes may be scarce in places.

"but this time using the train which runs the breadth of the island"
    Well yes, there are rail tracks - and the trains do run sometimes. Because of the absence of private car transport, there is a booking system which starts a couple of months before expected departure.
    Plenty of bikes on horrible tracks and no lighting on bikes or many streets in the evening. One of my memories of Cuba was a trip back from the "Bay of Pigs" where every small town had droves of cycles converging on local dance places. Every cycle had a girl on the luggage holder with a younger youth peddling away in front. Our conclusion was that the girls had convinced their younger brothers to help them out. We managed not to run any down.