Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

So I was shooting a bit today in Ogden, UT while I'm on my spring break from school. I'm in a neighborhood, neither upscale nor ghetto. Normal neighborhood. I was shooting a panorama of an out of business gas-station-turned-pizzaria when I heard someone yell something. I got out of the darkcloth just in time to see some asshole in a big truck drive by and the passenger throw two glass beer bottles at me. Neither hit me somehow but one broke across a locking ring on my tripod. Unfortunately I didn't get his plate since it was a paper temp plate and the window was too glary to read through.

Any of you guys had stuff like this happen? I fail to see what's so offensive about photography. Perhaps he is a staunch digital shooter

Angry Re: Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

Thanks for moving this. I guess I had a good brainfart to put it in the buy/sell forum

Re: Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

I thought beer was illegal there?

No, the mormons just aren't supposed to drink alcohol. Or caffeine. There are plenty of non-mormon white people and former mexicans to drink beer.

Former mexicans? How....???
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There are a lot of legal spanish speaking people here as well as a lot of illegal spanish speaking people. It's a long way from the border but they're here.

I used to get that type activity while riding my bike. If the vehicle has a temp tag, you could have the cops track that down, can't be that many temp tags in Ogden. Since you weren't hurt, they might sluff it off anyway.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Obviously someone who should not have been drinking beer, or driving, or out of jail. Time to invest in a padded darkcloth.

Just be thankful that nobody got out of the truck to mess with you.

Even at 6'2" and 225# I carry some tactical protection for specifically these types of situations because you just never know what you may find yourself unintentionally in the middle of. I know some folks that carry very lethal grizzly bear pepper spray and others that do not mess around and carry a locked and cocked .45 auto.

As I learned a very long time ago in the Boy Scouts - Be Prepared.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    So I was shooting a bit today in Ogden, UT while I'm on my spring break from school. I'm in a neighborhood, neither upscale nor ghetto. Normal neighborhood. I was shooting a panorama of an out of business gas-station-turned-pizzaria when I heard someone yell something. I got out of the darkcloth just in time to see some asshole in a big truck drive by and the passenger throw two glass beer bottles at me. Neither hit me somehow but one broke across a locking ring on my tripod. Unfortunately I didn't get his plate since it was a paper temp plate and the window was too glary to read through.

Any of you guys had stuff like this happen? I fail to see what's so offensive about photography. Perhaps he is a staunch digital shooter
    Just goes to show that there are red-necks, hillbillies, and bubbas all over, even in Canada (ssshhh... that secret's not out yet). They have different names all over, but they are usually the same ill-educated poor folks everywhere. Despite popular opinion and hollywood stereotype, they aren't all living in the the SE of the US.

My personal favs are the Italians that tried to steal out of my friend's backpack -- just reach a hand in and take whatever they grasp. Apparently, just to do it. The moral of the story is, never photograph alone. Always have someone around to watch your back.

Bruce Watson