Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate Film Holders... Hand Count

Re: Whole Plate Film Holders... Hand Count

Rob... it obviously depends on what your needs are, and what you're shooting. For 4x5 I have been using a Toyo AII since 1998 which has served me well, with all of the movements I have ever required. It even got me through 2 years at Brooks Institute, where I only needed to rent a monorail once because the Toyo couldn't be turned into a pretzal for a truly tough assignment. I also just picked up a Carbon Infinity, which has movement capability out the yinyang, partly from curiousity and partly because I'm starting to shoot more architecture.

That being said, I have probably shot more 4x5 film in the last 10 months with the 45PS than I had in 9 years with the Toyo. It's so light, so quick, and so easy that I take it out far more often... simple as that. Obviously there are considerations you have to take into account... lean more towards WA lenses, change your position if perspective is an issue, use smaller apertures, etc., but in the end nothing beats a bigger piece of film. Every great shot ever taken with a Hassy, Fuji 6x9 or Mamiya 7 would have been even better had it been captured on a bigger film. Fortunately for us, quite a few other folks feel similarly.

アナログ侘・寂

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Perez View Post
    I stumbled across a very attractively priced whole plate camera with like new (really) tab-style film holders. As an experiment I will adapt 4x5 and 5x7 backs to this camera to see if I can efficiently cover three formats in one nice light portable system. So... keep your eyes open and you might find something you can't live without.
    Well, I never thought much of it, as "whole plate" format seemed non-existant material-wise, but I do have a Chinese Seagull whole-plate camera, plus three plate holders. The format and the holders (and the whole camera, to be honest) were just a curiousity, before I decided to try to adapt it to a 5x7 format, using a B&J back I already had from annother camera ("B&J Watson"). The adapter was easy to make, and camera turned out to be quite usable. I can also use another B&J back - 4x5 reducing back.
    It's not a "pro" grade camera - lensboards are on the smallish side, and movement locks leave a lot to be desired, but it's light. And as Chris said, there's a lot to be said about a light camera that supports 3 formats. And now this possible source of whole plate holders...
    Hmm.... I think I might be interested in a couple of those. I guess Fotokemika (Efke) might be persuaded to cut some whole plate format film

Denis

Dave Karp

If anyone is interested in seeing a photo of a Photoman film holder, here are a couple.

http://www.fotomancamera.com/accessories_list.asp#251

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Droluk View Post
    If we do wind up manufacturing the WP film holders, it would only make sense to also produce a PS series camera for them. . . . . [L]ike all of our PS series cameras would not offer movements, until such time as we're finished developing our bellows adapters... even then, it would have front movement only.
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the note. Regarding your bellows adapters, will they enable use of multiple lenses without changing cones in addition to front movements?

Definitely interested in 5x7. Half plate bookform would be something for me, but I doubt bookform hoders would be justified by the demand!

Hi Paul,

I understand what you mean about a convenient 5x4.
    That being said, I have probably shot more 4x5 film in the last 10 months with the 45PS than I had in 9 years with the Toyo. It's so light, so quick, and so easy that I take it out far more often... simple as that.
    I probably am very old-fashioned and still see 5x4" format and larger formats as the format of the traditional view camera, so I've not been quick to come around to modern developments.

I do like the Silvestri T30 which is rapid and fast, and offers some shift movement for its 5x4" format and I agree it is far more usable in its' faster set-up.

Unfortunately since I upgraded my mobile phone, I have taken more pics than I have ever taken before, and I can honestly say they are at least twice as awful as anything I have ever shot in the past 20 years. Quantity of images shot has never been a great benchmark for me. I am happy to shoot 35mm as much as I am whole plate though (when I get around to it...).

It's a pleasure to discover there's someone as dedicated to LF stuff behind Fotoman too - thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the note. Regarding your bellows adapters, will they enable use of multiple lenses without changing cones in addition to front movements?
    David, regarding the Bellows Adapters (BA)... these will be standard bellows units, using Linhof lensboards. The rear of the BA will affix to the camera exactly like our Cones do... with four knurled screws. So you can change lenses to your hearts content.

Scott Davis

Paul- any more thoughts on the Whole Plate holders?

There's a manoeuvre which I've seen done before - I'm just about to perform:

Bump.

Full plate will be HUGE worldwide. It was the mathematically concise development for the 'perfect' image size...done in UK and used extensively for many years. The major benefits of it are 1) Having a contact that is a beautiful size fit between 5X7 and 8X10. Most that have shot with all formats prefer the full plate contact over any of these other now standardized formats. 2) Many have not been able to take full advantage of the full plate due to the lack of quality film holders available for them. 3) Because 4X5/5X7/8X10 have become "standards", most have likely put their full plates off to the side because of the lack of film, having to cut it, and having way more accessibility to parts/components for these other formats. 4) If people know about the ability to have modernized components for full plate cameras and even half plate cameras, and can get them at excellent pricing, I feel it would be a major resurgence in people wanting to get out the ole plate cams and start shooting with them again. 5) Lastly, full plate is more versatile to use than the 8X10 and weight wise, the older ones can be so light by comparison to an 8X10.

I am obvioiusly with great interest for the full plate holder.