Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate Film Holders... Hand Count

Whole Plate Film Holders... Hand Count

Some of you may be aware that I am soliciting marketing advise prior to making the decision to manufacture 5x7 film holders (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d.php?t=23901). Numerous responses to that thread, and to the thread regarding the Ebony FP camera, have ONCE AGIAN shown considerable interest in the Full Plate format. If in fact there is a reasonable demand, then for costing reasons, tooling for both Full Plate and 5x7's at the same time creates a much more viable manufacturing scenario from my perspective.

So the big question is, can I please have a hand count... I'm looking for hard numbers. How many people are wanting to purchase how many Full Plate Film holders, assuming a reasonable price and exceptional quality? These would be in every way comparable to Toyo film holders (quality wise) other than for three aspects...

1. They would carry the Fotoman brand name
    2. The dark slide would be stainless steel (like in a Horseman RF holder)
    3. The pricing would be more attractive

Re: Whole Plate Film Holders... Hand Count

I must have missed the 5x7 thread - I'd be interested in 5x7, but not whole plate. Maybe half plate though

Assuming price is proportionate within the range you've been discussing for the other formats, at least 6 and likely more.

Before you commit to tooling, do a bit of homework on the dimensions, including especially the rib lock position and the T-distance, since there's no ANSI standard.

Sal's been lobbying for specifications to match his Lotus holders for the new Ebony, and that may be a reasonable choice. If it would help, I'd be happy to measure different vintage and modern holders from my collection, compare notes with Sal, and share data with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Droluk View Post
    ...So the big question is, can I please have a hand count... I'm looking for hard numbers. How many people are wanting to purchase how many Full Plate Film holders, assuming a reasonable price and exceptional quality? These would be in every way comparable to Toyo film holders (quality wise) other than for three aspects...

1. They would carry the Fotoman brand name
    2. The dark slide would be stainless steel (like in a Horseman RF holder)
    3. The pricing would be more attractive
    Assuming they match the Lotus whole plate holder specifications I've described here http://www.apug.org/forums/440117-post16.html, don't STINK like recent production Toyo holders do and cost less than a Toyo 8x10 holder, I'll take a dozen.

I would eventually want about 12 but I might have to do 6 at a time for cash flow considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I would eventually want about 12 but I might have to do 6 at a time for cash flow considerations.

Yeah, since you are convalescing from a big bout of ULF Deardorfitus.

I would take 10 film holders to start and a Full Plate camera back to match.

My current rig takes the tabbed film holders and I assume you would offer more modern spring back style equipment.

Assuming price is reasonable I would buy between 6 and 10.

As Oren points out, the T-distance is a major consideration. My current back is scavenged off a Rochester and its T-distance matches (more or less) the 10 plate holders it came with, and I would be concerned that my back wouldn't match your holders.

Of course, to solve this problem (at least for me) you could also offer a ground glass back which could be adapted to fit most cameras.

Paul,

I have all the holders I need right now but what about 13x18 as well? Any folks out there for 13x18? Again same tooling as for the full plate and 5x7.

Hi Paul,

I thought you would never ask. I'm not interested in 13x18cm or modern later ULF formats - the thoughts on the full-plate 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch plate project are more than welcome.

I'd be happy with the metal construction, and knowing that your factory is based in the Far East, as long as the tolerances are guaranteed, I'd be happy to request an initial 10 plates, with a view to ordering 20 altogether.

I never want to go back to 8x10", so I guess I'm very much burning my bridge in ULF behind me as I move towards whole plate. If there was some way to improve film flatness in the plates that would be great too.

Best regards.

I hope it works out, although I guess you may have more support marketing the whole plate format in Japan, or even getting in touch with Ebony to produce them under licence with Ebony rather than the Fotoman name.