Thread: Museo Silver Rag -

Museo Silver Rag -

I've had some Siver Rag for quite awhile, and am now getting around to trying it on my 4000. Alas, I only have two shades of black, versus the three shades on more recent printers.

Has anyone tried this paper on the 4000, or using K2 technology? For example, if using the driver, what paper are you specifying for ink settings, etc? Are there any other special settings that are recommended for a 4000? It's designed for Photo Black, so specifying any kind of matte paper would trigger the Matte Black ink instead.

I'm interested in both black and white and color.

I'll build my own profile, but need some sort of printer settings before printing the target. I saw another thread on settings, but nothing in that thread really helped me out.

Re: Museo Silver Rag -

Hello Neil

I've sucessfully used the paper in a 2100 (UK equivalent of the 2200) using the Premium Semi Gloss paper settings and a custom paper profile. I've always been happy with the prints produced, although the paper is not one of my favourites.

David Whistance

Neil,
    I understand your problem. I was a beta tester for SR when it came out and I was not impressed. I was using a 4000 with ImagePrint but without a proper profile. Now since ImagePrint profiled it and the real (better) version of the paper came out it is much better. Partly because IP mixes all the inks to produce effectively more than one black and achieve the gradation of a multiblack printer. I'm not sure for you how to get around this with out changing inks (like Cone Neutral 7 ink set). For myself I am going to buy a 3800 to run IP b&w and color on the better k3 inks and change my 4000 over to Cone inks and the QTR.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Museo Silver Color Settings

I have had Museo Silver Rag sitting in my darkroom since August, and I am just now trying to get it to print well. My first proofs were very disappointing in color. The settings I had at the time included using a downloaded Silver Rag ICC profile from Crane.

There are so many possible Photoshop and printer driver settings I'm not sure what configuration is right for my situation. Among the possibilties are:

Photoshop - use Museo Silver Rag under proof setup?

Check off "use proof colors"?

Epson printer paper has Premium Luster selected.

Print Document or Print Proof

(note that some of these settings over ride other selections)

Color Handling - no color mgmt, photoshop or printer determine color

Printer Profile - 7800 PLPP250 ??

Rendering Intent Perceptual

Proof set up preset (for print proof only)

So, I am confused, my color is close now, but I'm not sure I am making all the right selections. I am printing with an Epson 7800 with standard K-3 ink set.

What do other users do with their similar set-ups. (I'm also on PC not Mac if it makes any difference)

Heretical as it may sound, I still use PSE2, so no paper profiles are available. However, I'm delighted with the results on my 7800 simply pretending it's Premium Luster and letting the printer do the color management. Both B&W and color are precisely what I see on my monitor and it keeps life simple.

That said, I do all my own printing and have no concerns for sending files to other printers. "If it ain't broke . . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hilker View Post
    Heretical as it may sound, I still use PSE2, so no paper profiles are available.
    I think you have the option of using profiles in Elements. Use Print with Preview. At least it was there on my brother's system, which I think was PSE2.

Thanks, Larry, but PSE2 is fairly primitive in that respect. The only choices appear to be color spaces and printer profiles, with no apparent means of importing specific paper profiles. In practice, I've found that the Enhanced Matte printer setting works well for all matte finish papers and the Premium Luster setting for the Silver Rag. I only use about six different papers, so it's not been a problem. Within Elements, I select "No color management" and let the printers' (2200 & 7800) drivers do the rest. I know it flies in the face of common practice, but it really works so well for me that I'm loathe to change my workflow after so many years of managing to consistently make prints that are a perfect match to my old CRT graphics monitor. Even worse, I don't do any fancy calibrating -- just occasionally tweak the monitor to match any slight difference from a good print. Yeah, I know! . . . . .

I think Print with Preview started with PSE3 which I tried, but decided to stick with "old faithful."

I print all my images on Silver Rag using Qimage. This program simplifies the printer settings compared to Photoshop and has several other nice features. I use Crane's ICC profile and get tremendous color on my Epson 9800 - so good that a custom profile is unnecessary for my purposes. The texture of Silver Rag is a bit annoying but the image quality is far better than any other paper I've used.