Thread: Best Head for a Heavy-Duty Linhof Tripod ?

Best Head for a Heavy-Duty Linhof Tripod ?

I finally relented. i found a late model (black) heavy-duty Linhof tripod. Now I'm wondering what kind of head should I put on it ?

It has a 120cm diameter crown. So I think the Reis A250 double-tilt will be too big and the J250 will be slightly small.

I want to put an 8x10 Phillips on there or an Agfa Ansco 8x10.

The Linhof 3-way leveling head looks too small as well, it'll work with 4x5 or even 5x7, not too sure about 8x10 ...

Any ideas ?

Re: Best Head for a Heavy-Duty Linhof Tripod ?

How about the Ries J-250. Designed for 4x5, but I wouldn't hesitate to put my Canham 8x10 camera on it.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I agree with the J250 even if the base is a bit small. Ad for the Linhof 3 way leveling head ... their are actually three of them in diferent sizes and weights. The larger ones will do well. Finally, the champ, IMO, for large heads is the Majestic. It'll handle yoru 8x10 with ease as it is rated for something over 40 pounds IIRC. I use a Majestic in my studio on a studio stand to hold my Horseman L Frame rail camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    I finally relented. i found a late model (black) heavy-duty Linhof tripod. Now I'm wondering what kind of head should I put on it ?

It has a 120cm diameter crown. So I think the Reis A250 double-tilt will be too big and the J250 will be slightly small.

I want to put an 8x10 Phillips on there or an Agfa Ansco 8x10.

The Linhof 3-way leveling head looks too small as well, it'll work with 4x5 or even 5x7, not too sure about 8x10 ...

Any ideas ?
    The Linhof HD Pro tripod and the Linhof Profi 3 tripod have a removeable top plate that accepts 90mm drop in mount Linhof heads directly. The tripod is designed to clamp them in rather then to screw them on to the top plate.

The Linhof Profi Pan/Tilt Leveling head and the current Linhof 003650 ball head c;amp directly into the top of the tripod and/or the center column or extensin post of the tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The Linhof HD Pro tripod and the Linhof Profi 3 tripod have a removeable top plate that accepts 90mm drop in mount Linhof heads directly. The tripod is designed to clamp them in rather then to screw them on to the top plate.

The Linhof Profi Pan/Tilt Leveling head and the current Linhof 003650 ball head c;amp directly into the top of the tripod and/or the center column or extensin post of the tripod.
    I have one of those heads on my Linhof heavy tripods and Bob is spot on. Works like a champ.

You don't have to go to the gym on days that you shoot with this tripod and head as it will give you a great workout all by itself. When I add my Kardan Color 8x10 triplex to the mix I can promise you that I am not the least bit concerned about camera stability.