Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limit FS thread to newbies?

Re: Limit FS thread to newbies?

Not all newbies are bad... or dont have accountability for their selling abilities... obviously "buyer beware" if the seller doesnt post information about themselves in a sale. But now all the apples in the bunch are rotten....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    But you can stitch images with a D-80, correct perspective and add blur in PS, can't you? It's obviously LF.
    Silly me, I forgot about that! And I can even simulate a proper x-ray fog in PS after an airplane trip, can't I?

As a newbie to the forum, I would point out that there are probably people out there like me who have dabbled in LF for years, but for one reason or another have never gotten really serious about it. People like that have often accumulated LF gear with the hope of finding the time or motivation to use it, and at some point say to heck with it and sell. You might find that useful.

Further, my own first (or maybe second) post here was to buy a lens. So I'm OK to buy but not to sell? I can understand barring non-LF stuff, but people who don't have the time to spend hanging out can still be honest people with good gear to sell.

Many new members here have good deals to offer on their gear. There is a gentlemen who has roughly 50 posts for mostly sale items (and his follow up responses). I don't look at this as "taking advantage", because the sellers have something to offer forum members.

It makes sense, Eric. It's just that in this day and age of over-aggressive marketing and spamming, it's too easy to perceive someone who's selling several non-LF items in his very first few posts as yet another one of those.

I agree, we have to be very careful out there, and it would be unfortunate for the forum to develop a reputation for being an easy target.

Perhaps we should limit newbie posts to the Lounge for the month, and force them to submit to threads on politics and religion. Kinda like an initiation...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    Perhaps we should limit newbie posts to the Lounge for the month, and force them to submit to threads on politics and religion. Kinda like an initiation...
    LOL that will certainly ween membership... I dont even go to the "Chit Chat" section of my own site...LOL

Newbies need a place to listen (read) what oldies are discussing that is one way short of trail & error to learn. A non-photographer looking for a place to sell were photograhers can access their items, probably don't make such distinctions of small, medium or Large format. It's just camera equipment to them & some of those into cameras are here so yes it attracts them. [which may or may not be a blessing]
    It is hard even to get honest information so why make it harder? So limit the extent of non LF items but then some old lens or lab equipment may not exchange hand to both benefit?
    Lounge? Not much of a drinker so I don't normally go there.

Whenever I come across a thread that doesn't interest me, I hit my browser's "Back" button.

Am I missing something?