Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limit FS thread to newbies?

Limit FS thread to newbies?

Just a suggestion:

There seems to be an increasing number of sellers with a single digit post counters who try to sell blatantly non-LF stuf - there is one as of this morning selling brand new Nikon D-80s and that is his only post.

Perhaps the moderators should consider introducing the time and/or participation requirement for posting in FS thread?

Re: Limit FS thread to newbies?

I don't think many people here are stupid enough to buy from someone with less than 10 post count.

In the same vein there might be someone looking to sell a camera that came from a family member, and doesn't have any other interest in LF. In that respect someone here will lose out on a bargain because of restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I don't think many people here are stupid enough to buy from someone with less than 10 post count.

In the same vein there might be someone looking to sell a camera that came from a family member, and doesn't have any other interest in LF. In that respect someone here will lose out on a bargain because of restrictions.
    Hey Ash,

I'm certainly not the one to support any kind of restriction here, but this is getting really annoying. I don't think this board, commercial-free as it is, needs to become dumping ground for characters with no interest or connection to LF who just want to move something quickly. It's a waste of bandwidth and effort to filter them out, besides beeing purely annoying.

As far as I remember, the mods stated some time ago that it is OK for members to occassionally sell non-LF stuff as a courtesy for them, not as a matter of free-for-all policy. All I am saying is that it seems the time has come to enforce that stance a bit.

I agree. Have a minimum post and membership time for anyone wishing to post adds for non-LF gear, and no restrictions for LF.

That is not unduly restrictive, since they have the option of posting on Photo.net or APUG.

We try to keep a fairly close eye on the FS section, but we're not online 24/7, so the stray post will slip through.

Let's not get our knickers in a twist here. There's a minimal amount of rules, a great deal of courtesy, and a minimal amount of inappropriate postings, on this forum. I like it that way. The moderators are doing a fine job, and I'd like to thank them for that.

you guy's do a great job here. you don't want to be like peanut or the dribbling dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Let's not get our knickers in a twist here. There's a minimal amount of rules, a great deal of courtesy, and a minimal amount of inappropriate postings, on this forum. I like it that way. The moderators are doing a fine job, and I'd like to thank them for that.

I agree. This site is by far the best run of the various ones that I like to visit. As for newbies, if you like film and you like LF, we can use all the newbies that we can get. I get a lot out of this site and pay nothing for the knowledge that I gain. I would never have been interested or gotten started in LF if not for the great service that LF Forum provides in helping introduce new users to LF. As for post count, some of us who aren't experts will never pile up an impressive post count, as we mainly lurk, seeking to learn rather than postulate. I have picked up some valuable items in the FS section with my rather modest post count. What sense does it make to run off people who are just getting started? Please leave it like it is and let the mods do their job. Just my two cents.

Really all you need to do when a F/S posting or any other type of posting that is inappropriate, is to click the report post icon and let the moderation team make the choice...pretty simple.

But you can stitch images with a D-80, correct perspective and add blur in PS, can't you? It's obviously LF.