Thread: backpacks and carry on restrictions

backpacks and carry on restrictions

I'm looking for the largest backpack I can use as carry on. Currently I have the lightware which is nice (and heavy) but too big for the airline restricions. Does anyone have a recommendation or feedback? I am considering the Lowepro Protrekker AW and the Tenba 265. any reason not to get either one?

Adam,

The gear that I hand-carry is placed in a rather beaten-up duffle bag so as not to advertise that I have photography equipment. My empty backpack goes into a large duffle with my tripod, clothes, etc., which is sent with the baggage. An advantage of this approach is that your backpack choices are not limited by airline regulations.

I either hand-carry my film or ship it separately to my destination to avoid the high powered x-ray machines that some airports have begun using on the baggage. Shipping the film became necessary when some airlines cut back to a single carry-on bag. Because it's so expensive, I may soon put all of my camera equipment into the cargo hold and then hand-carry my film.

Bruce

I'm going to refer you to doing a search under this topic on photonet where there has to be at least a hundred threads concerning this. I'm sure you'll find answers there as to who has used what. The only warning I have is that if you take a short hopper flight the restrictions are smaller. My Lowepro classic just fits with the front pocket empty. BTW, airlines size restrictions are not all the same.

See Tenba back plack P265 PBA for Airlines at the following location:

http://www.tenba.com/camera/photobackpack.htm

Tenba claims this is the largest backpack that will fit under the seat in front on an airplane. I have and like the model just under this one, the P264.

I regularly travel around the US and internationally with a full 8 X 10 rig including multiple lenses, film, holders. All fits into an f64 BPX, which allows a couple of modular sidepockets to be removed. This absolutely, definitely will fit under the seat on any plane I have ever been on, and the only place I have had any trouble was on short commuter flights in the states. Even there, I could get it on when I proved to them that it fit under the seat. It is the most rationally-designed backpack for LF, though not as well built as the LowePro (which I had but stopped using when I got the f64). I would highly recommend it if you are concerned about getting your camera gear on the plane.

Good luck,

Nathan

Here's anothe option get one of those photojournalist jackets and put as much of the accessories in that and get a smaller bag such as one of the ones from CCS or Bilingham

I used a Lowe Phototrekker AW, and it just barely fit through the new templates on many X-ray machines, so I would have doubts if the Protrekker (which is wider) would fit. I now use a Domke Outpack which fits every template I have tried.