Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate programs in History of Photography/arts entrepreneurship

Scott Davis

Graduate programs in History of Photography/arts entrepreneurship

I'm not sure where to put this thread, but this comes the closest other than the lounge, but this isn't so off-topic that it belongs in the lounge. I'm looking for graduate school programs in the History of Photography. I'm aware already of several programs I want to investigate farther, namely:

Sotheby's Institute - MA graduate program in History of Photography/art business ($$$$$, and the photo program is only offered in London...more $$$$$$$$$$$$).

Princeton University - offers a full PhD in the History of Photography.

Maryland Institute, College of Art - their continuing ed program has an Arts Entrepreneurship certificate, co-taught by the University of Baltimore business school.

I'm open to ideas/recommendations/suggestions from just about anywhere in the country, or even reasonable locations in other parts of the world too.

Re: Graduate programs in History of Photography/arts entrepreneurship

Chicago Art Institute?

NYU?

Yale?

Johns Hopkins?

They are worth contacting to see. I have no personal knowledge that they do.

Seat of your pants? Grin, couldn't resist. Sorry.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I know people who have been through the Sotheby's and Princeton programs. It seems to me that the Princeton program is in a class by itself here. You are comparing apples and oranges. Do a comparison with Princeton and other top flight PHD programs. The Sotheby's is more art marketing oriented. Princeton is purely academic.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Oh, just remembered, University of Arizona has Eugene Smith's stuff, perhaps they have some graduate program you can fit into.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I know people who have been through the Sotheby's and Princeton programs. It seems to me that the Princeton program is in a class by itself here. You are comparing apples and oranges. Do a comparison with Princeton and other top flight PHD programs. The Sotheby's is more art marketing oriented. Princeton is purely academic.
    Kirk - I realize I'm doing apples to oranges to grapefruits to durians here. I'm still trying to figure out what's out there in terms of programs, what kinds of tangible benefits they offer in terms of career potential, and where I'd like to be with this when I'm done. I KNOW that wherever I end up, I want to still have the time and freedom to practice my photography as art. I THINK I want to have something to do with the commercial end of the art industry. I perceive, and perhaps this is a gross misconception on my part, but there is a rather strong dividing line between the commercial and the academic worlds when it comes to art - the academic end tends to look down on the commercial gallery end of things as being corrupted by money and lacking intellectual credentials, and the commercial folks look at the academics as being ivory-tower misfits. Does this divide exist, or is it more sturm-und-drang than reality?

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Chicago Art Institute?

NYU?

Yale?

Johns Hopkins?

They are worth contacting to see. I have no personal knowledge that they do.

Seat of your pants? Grin, couldn't resist. Sorry.
    Hopkins wouldn't know art if it bit it on the ass. Well, actually, that's not true- they do have a top-notch art history program, but mostly focused on traditional European painting - Italian Renaissance, Old Masters and such. I know personally the current department chair at Hopkins ( I took a seminar with him when he was still a PhD candidate ) and he's a great Italian Renaissance scholar, but they have NOTHING on photography there. They also have a pathetic fine arts program, because of Maryland Institute College of Art, I guess.

I'll look into the other schools you mentioned as well. I'm just fishing around to find out what's out there, as I feel a bit overwhelmed by the variety of choices, and the lack of centralized information about those choices as well.

"but they have NOTHING on photography there"

Tell that to Dr. Michael Fried at Hopkins.

http://webapps.jhu.edu/namedprofesso...fessorshipID=8

He's writing a book on Photographic History as we type. He just gave a lecture at the Baltimore Museum on Jeff Wall and Stephen Shore.

Scott - probably worth looking at this the other way around, too: talk to people who are doing professionally those things that you think you might be interested in, and ask them what training is substantively useful and what credentials carry weight in getting you there.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    "but they have NOTHING on photography there"

Tell that to Dr. Michael Fried at Hopkins.

http://webapps.jhu.edu/namedprofesso...fessorshipID=8

He's writing a book on Photographic History as we type. He just gave a lecture at the Baltimore Museum on Jeff Wall and Stephen Shore.
    Walt- I never thought about him because he's not in the Art History department - he's in the Humanities Center. I could probably work out some kind of strange independent designer degree through the Humanities Center if they'd let me in. Dr. Fried was my faculty advisor for a while. Then I switched to the English department and had someone else.

Scott,

A Phd program is 6-10 years in most cases, but it will punch your ticket for just about anything university level academic or museum curatorial. Getting that PHD will make you a leading expert in whatever you do your dissertation on. A friend of mine did his on Walker Evans and is now the director of an art musuem. The Sotheby's 2-3 year (?) degree will get you a curatorial job (though perhaps not a directorship) and prepare you more for the marketing end of things. That is a very general statement. The guy I know who has this degree from Sotheby's went from commercial galleries to curatorial gigs at the Govenor's Gallery of the Museum of New Mexico and now the curator of Art at the Tamarind Institute.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"