Thread: View Camera in Europe

View Camera in Europe

There has been some encouragement to us Europeans to provide material to the magazine in the forms of pictures, articles etc. This ought to signal some interest in strengthening the presence of the magazine in Europe and move the content to a less US-centric focus.

I applaud the initiative and indeed it makes a lot of sense to me, considering that many LF manufacturers are in fact in Europe and the LF movement is relatively strong (albeit not at the level of that in the US, granted).

But then, why does a $25 yearly subscription in the US become $113.5 in Europe?

After five years of subscribing 19 bucks per issue is too much to digest even for someone as committed to LF as me.

That's just too bad, also considering that pdf downloads are certainly not a substitute for a real paper copy.

Re: View Camera in Europe

The reason for the extra expense is the postage, taxes, etc. As you seem to know we do have a downloadable pdf version for just $25.00 per year.

We are open to suggestons.

we do have two distributors on your side of the pond

mike@walkercameras.com

www.taosphotographic.com

steve simmons

Thanks for your reply Steve,

one suggestion: I would be happy to download the pdf and receive the hard copy two months later (read: surface shipping), if that cut down the overall subscription cost.

Another thought. Some small publications (the Italian Zoom magazine is an example I know) sell in China and Russia local editions through a deal with local distributors that also print the magazine received electronically. I do not know what are the problems involved, I am not in the publishing business (nor do I intend to teach this business to you), but have you and the European distributors looked at other alternatives (including some cheaper carrier alternative)?

Best

Marco

I am also sitting in Europe (Germany) and after one year subscription found the total cost to be a bit too high. So I went the pdf way - but , somehow - I enjoyed the printed version more - not only because of the photographs. But maybe if the interest from Europe will grow - it would make sense to print in Europe - what might bring the cost down - maybe....

Matus

We've tried to find a distributor in Germany without success. Any ideas?

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Annaratone View Post
    There has been some encouragement to us Europeans to provide material to the magazine in the forms of pictures, articles etc. This ought to signal some interest in strengthening the presence of the magazine in Europe and move the content to a less US-centric focus.

I applaud the initiative and indeed it makes a lot of sense to me, considering that many LF manufacturers are in fact in Europe and the LF movement is relatively strong (albeit not at the level of that in the US, granted).

But then, why does a $25 yearly subscription in the US become $113.5 in Europe?

After five years of subscribing 19 bucks per issue is too much to digest even for someone as committed to LF as me.

That's just too bad, also considering that pdf downloads are certainly not a substitute for a real paper copy.

The Americans have a higher pay check than the European so it should be cheaper in Europe.

If you have a way to solve the postage issue please et me know

thanks

steve