Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunar eclipse

Lunar eclipse

There is a lunar eclipse this Saturday. It will be visible to the eastern seaboard just after sunset. I was wondering if anyone was going to try and get it on film. There is a spot overlooking a large pond with a bunch of old dead trees in it that I was going to try. I was going to shoot the eclipse and then after it cleared and the moon rose a bit I would do a second long exposure for the rest of the image under the light of the full moon.

Re: Lunar eclipse

I took a roll of the eclipse (and a few other things) but it was on 35mm. I don't have a lens on my sinar yet, so its not usable. At some point I am planning to do a large format moon shot, using a telescope to create a 9000mm lens, but it won't be at a lunar eclipse.

Alan - did you get your moon shots? Your public is awaiting the scans. (You've had all day to process the film, afterall. )

Zach - a 9,000mm lens would be interesting, creating something close to a 90mm lunar disc on film.

9000mm.... that's hardcore.

Sorry, no image. Had a front covering the horizon. By the time the moon got clear it was too high and past the eclipse.

Same here. I talked to two friends who had the same goal, and all the way from Baltimore to Front Royal we were socked in with pretty dense clouds, so we couldn't even see a hint of the eclipse

Well it would not infact be a 8000mm lens, but a collection of optics to fake it. The basic idea is that you take a Dobsonain telescope, 10" appature 1250mm FL (F5 or so) then put a wide field eyepiece in it, point the camera lens into that. Of course gettting the camera and eyepiece aligned exactly right will be a bit of a challenge. Also don't forget that the moon moves across its own diameter ever 2 minutes (15min of arc per minute)

But with luck I can order the telescope tomorrow and then start thinking about this for real.

;-))
    I humbly suggest you the opposite order of things -first think of it for real and only then order the telescope...

Well I'm planning on ordering the telescope for visual use mainly, this would just be an experiment to see if I can get it to work. The hard part is being able to position the camera correctly so that it focused on the telescope eyepiece. And I need to be able to do that in a repeatable way so that I can point the scope, then position the camera and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach In Israel View Post
    Well I'm planning on ordering the telescope for visual use mainly, this would just be an experiment to see if I can get it to work. ...
    That's wise of you. Further studies will show you even greater array of difficulties than you know about at this stage. Cheers.