Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: attaching a digital back to a view camera

attaching a digital back to a view camera

the recent "stiching" threads, coupled with the fact that a high end digital solution would be great for my wife's restoration studio (not to mention my lab costs) has had me thinking seriously about the options...

as continuity would have it my local dealer just happens to have a demo phase one p45 for half price, but although it'd be great to have one of those things on the back of a mf camera, it's not gonna cut the mustard for my serious work, i need a workable solution to get it on the back of my 4x5. the thing is i don't see any elegant solutions out there, especially if you want to visualise scenes for "stiching" using movements etc...

any of you gurus out there got any ideas?
    thanks

adrian
    http://www.adriantyler.net/

Re: attaching a digital back to a view camera

Use a 6x9 view camera with a back for the P45, and tether the back to a laptop so you have a live view of each frame for stitching and movement.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Here's a "poor man's" solution. Canon 5D and Sinar P rear standard. I use Really Right Stuff hardware and the bellows was made by StudioTool STM. I found that mounting the camera vertically gives me more flexablity. Typically I need to stitch two images, but if I had to, I could go to three on the horzontal and two vertically (6 images) with my 90mm or 150mm lenses. A little more with the 150 due to the mirror box gets in the way with the 90. I work for some of the leading artists in Northwest Ohio and Southern Michigan copying their artwork, always have repeat business with no known complaints.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I'm more interested in the Leica M (4 or 6??) on the other tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'm more interested in the Leica M (4 or 6??) on the other tripod
    That's an M4 and Visioflex w/ Extension Bellows and 65mm Elmar. We make 35mm slides of the artwork with that rig.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

The professional solution to get digital capture from a view camera is to use a Betterlight Scanning Back. These go onto the camera just like a standard 4x5 cut film holder. Just slide right in. They have a cable that attaches to a controller box, which attaches to your computer. You control the scanning back from your computer. These capture an image almost full 4x5, and they are not a Bayer pattern, but capture full RGB for each pixel. While not cheap, they can often be purchased used. I have one, it is great for photographing paintings for high-quality reproduction. They are a fraction of the price of medium-format digital backs.

Gene,

At between $6500 and $18,000 (with the newest expected shortly for even more money) for the Digital Scanning Insert, the Better Light backs are anything but inexpensive.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Gene,

At between $6500 and $18,000 (with the newest expected shortly for even more money) for the Digital Scanning Insert, the Better Light backs are anything but inexpensive.

Rich
    Oh yes, I know they are, but compared to other NEW prices for medium-format backs that can go as high as $39,000..this would seem to be a better deal...and and and...the Betterlights have been around a while, and I see owners sometimes selling them for as little as $2900. The entry level Betterlight 4000 produces a 56mb file in 8 bit. And, due to the quality of the "pixels" can easily be interpolated to twice this size without compromise. Plus, the Betterlight scanning back allows you to actually USE your 4x5 as it was intended, getting almost the full format, composing on the ground glass, using all movements without "issues", etc. (The Betterlight crops similar to what a 4x5 polaroid test would).

getting to use the 4x5 as gene says is what it's about, unfortunatly betterlight backs, although suitable for the work my wife does, won't work for lowlight or outdoor stuff that i do. and i would need an untethered thing.

seems like we are going to have to wait till the market dictates that they can allow us larger sensors...

The P45 on the back of a view camera has color shift issues if you use it with the lens shifted or tilted. They have built a "white-frame subtraction" feature into the software to correct for it, but it requires taking two shots -- one with a expo-disc, plus the normal shot -- to get a color-correct image. Just thought you should be aware of that.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com