Thread: Domke 804

all around the world...

Domke 804

After half a career in the Marine Corps I'm not very interested in backpacking anymore. But I travel about half time and have been carrying various formats in various Domke bags through airports for 20 years and like them a lot. (I still have the first one - it houses the seldom-used Leica Digilux II.)

The new Toyo 45A (new to me) will, with no more that three lenses and the usual other stuff, need a dedicated bag. The 804 satchel bag looks good for carrying, but a little unwieldy for shooting from. As I expect to carry it on airplanes more than shoot it, I think that's OK. It will never be checked luggage.

I'll also want to carry a 12" Powerbook in it.

Does anyone have more direct experience with this bag? What do you think?

-Don

P.S. I did a search here, but didn't come up with much about this specifically.

Re: Domke 804

I had one of those, it is nice design and easy to manage. As you probably know, the new Domkes are not as well made as the earlier ones though.

If you kept the lenses in small containers (Rubbermaid or lenswraps) you could probably pile everything inside but it will be pretty darn tight once you add film holders. And it might be clumsy to get your Powerbook out or dig for small items.

FWIW I found the "carry-on" sized roller Pelican case will hold a lot of gear and actually fits in the overhead bin. However, when you have to fly a tiny commuter, and have to pass the Pelican through the checked or "stewardress-assisted" baggage, it will at least provide enough protection for your gear to survive.

Another good system is the Lowe-Pro Computrekker backpack -- good protection for your laptop and just enough space for a small 4x5 set-up.

Flying with 4x5 is a challenge. The film holders pose a problem -- you often have to check empty ones and carry only the film boxes and maybe some Grafmatics in your carry-on.

all around the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I had one of those, it is nice design and easy to manage. As you probably know, the new Domkes are not as well made as the earlier ones though.
    I didn't know that. I haven't bought one in ten years. Thanks.

Another good system is the Lowe-Pro Computrekker backpack -- good protection for your laptop and just enough space for a small 4x5 set-up.
    I've looked at that one in particular and it does look very well made. And despite my protestations, maybe putting it on my back would also come in handy.

-Don

. . . . . .

Flying with 4x5 is a challenge. The film holders pose a problem -- you often have to check empty ones and carry only the film boxes and maybe some Grafmatics in your carry-on.
    I have the LowePro CompuTrekker for my Shen-Hao outfit. I got some large industrial Velcro to place down the centre inside, which allowed a better fitting of all the various items: Readyload and Quickload holder, Polaroid 405, Linhof Super Rollex back, TOYO 3.6x loupe, Schneider 135mm folded into the camera, room for my old Zeiss 21cm Tessar, and still room left for a Nikon F4S with 50mm or shorter lens mounted on it. I usually use the computer slot in back to carry film, though once I did put a PowerBook in the back and carry all the camera gear. There is more than enough room, though weight can pile up quickly to make the bag seem fairly heavy. I think regular film holders would add to the weight (compared to a Readyload/Quickload set-up), though it could probably hold four to ten holders with room for everything else (or more if you can stand all the weight).

I am also more partial to over the shoulder bags than backpacks. However, after trying a CompuTrekker backpack on over at Nelson's Photo Supply in Little Italy, it seemed fairly comfortable. Best I could suggest is take the gear you have to a store that has bags you might want to use, then fit all your stuff in there and see how you like the weight and balance. Consider how you want to carry a tripod too, and whether you want to attach it to the bag or not.

If you can find the films you want in Kodak Readyload or Fuji Quickload, you can save some weight and bulk. It is also easier for film hand inspection when flying, though with ISO 100 films I have yet to have any problems. One thing I also carry is a wasted Quickload to show how the holder system and film works, though so far I only needed to do that once.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

all around the world...

Yep, Nelson's is where I looked at it too. Maybe I'll actually do something on payday...

-Don

Don's probably not going to be a Ready/Quickload shooter since the film is not available faster than ISO 160... ;-(

Once you get your 4x5 system down you might consider Grafmatics to save bulk, although they can quickly get heavy themselves. Add a laptop and suddenly your carry-on is 40 lbs... so a backpack (I hate em) or a roller is much easier on your shoulder once you get that heavy.

I do miss the Domkes with the pre-digital Nikons/Leicas and prime lenses, it was the nicest all-around way to work with that set-up.