Thread: Building my own camera bag

Building my own camera bag

I've got my new calumet 4x5 camera this week, and while I'm waiting for the lens to arrive, I've decided to make my own camera bag for it. Here are some photos.

I started by creating a support frame made out of birch plywood. Basic tools... jigsaw, router, glue.

Then I carved the support holes and reinforced some joints with L-shaped brass

Next I've padded the wood with a crib filling, bought at walmart for about $3. I had some 3M spray glue around, which's proven perfect for this job.

The last step was to finish the support, gluing some fabric to the foam.

Re: Building my own camera bag

Finally, here are some photos of the final product... I'm very happy with it. The only thing is that I had to cut two holes on the pockets of the bag because the rail was too long. Other than that, it's perfect.

Confidently Agnostic!

Just watch for dust and fiber from that soft material and your fabric. I'm driven absolutely nuts by my (otherwise great) lowepro's damned dust and fiber shedding tendency so I wrap everything in bags. Maybe a bit anal, but I've had a 35mm SLR lens pretty much filled with fibers (presumably from the padding) after kicking it around in the bag for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Just watch for dust and fiber from that soft material and your fabric. I'm driven absolutely nuts by my (otherwise great) lowepro's damned dust and fiber shedding tendency so I wrap everything in bags. Maybe a bit anal, but I've had a 35mm SLR lens pretty much filled with fibers (presumably from the padding) after kicking it around in the bag for a long time.

I've chosen linen to wrap the piece. In theory it shouldn't shed at all. I'll probably store the lens separately anyways.

I made something similar but for carrying all the extra gear, not the camera. I used 1/2" sheet foam from a fabric store ("extra firm", I believe it said it was,) and covered it with nylon stretched tightly and glued. It has a space for film holders, seperate compartments for each lens, places for the meter, loupe, etc. Very handy, very organized, well padded. It's very easy to clean (vacuum or damp wipe, depending on how much dust blows inside.) It fits into an insulated, collapsable cooler bag and is both easily visible (being bright red,) and quite waterproof. Best of all, it looks absolutely nothing like a camera bag.

My Calumet monorail travels in it's case in the trunk but when I get it out it goes on top of my tripod, which goes over my shoulder. My bag goes over the other shoulder for balance. Good for several miles of hiking.

Mike