Thread: Photoshop Instructional books

Photoshop Instructional books

Just getting into Digital photography from large format. It is all so confusing, with printing issues etc. I Am looking for direction on instruction books for CS2. Anyone have any views on George DeWolfe's "Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop" or Rob Sheppard's "Outdoor Photographer Landscape and Nature Photography with Photoshop CS2"? Also, we do have an Epson Stylus photo 1280. Any recommendations on ink, paper? Thanks in advance

Re: Photoshop Instructional books

"Real World Photoshop CS" by Blatner and Frazier is almost a standard recommendation (I assume it's been updated to CS2 but my copy is CS). I haven't seen George deWolfe's book but I did attend his digital printing workshop at the Palm Beach Photographic Workshops a few years ago. It was an excellent workshop, if the book is as good then it should be a very good book.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Dave,

PS CS2 is one heck of a program and, depending on how much experience you already have with the previous incarnations of PS, it has one steep learning curve!

That said, the book I'm currently reading is "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers" by Martin Evening. It has a CD with the book that allows you to follow through on their examples.

Adobe use to produce a training book of their own... can't recall the exact name but they were excellent to learn PS from. I'm sure they'll have an updated version for CS2 out in the computer bookstores.

Btw, you'll certainly get your share of exercise from lugging this book around... it's darn heavy and, frankly, I sure wish they would have divided it up into two sections.

There's lots of good books out there on CS2. You just have to find one that fits your own style of reading/temperament etc.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I've read Real World PS and Martin Evenings book, both are well written and useful. But a book that is even better is PS Artistry, by Haynes, Crumpler and Duggan. It covers PS2 clearly, logically and with thorough explanations of all of the features of interest to photographers.

The enclosed CD not only contains the tutorial images from the text, but lots of very useful macros and custom tools sets.

I had read six PS books previous to this one. Most I found lacking in many respects. This one is easy to learn from, without dumbing down the material. I learned more from this one book than the other six combined. Many concepts that I was still hazy about from the other books were rendered crystal clear by this one. The chapters are structured such that it is suitable for beginners through experts.

Highly recommended.