Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Plate/Plate Camera (101 hints for a retirement project....)

Half-Plate/Plate Camera (101 hints for a retirement project....)

I guess there isn't much of a market for the old half-plate or plate camera format left especially with film choice in this format being very restricted to a few brands.

Tinkering around with the idea of getting a half-plate camera, I accidentally bought one that I thought would sell for a lot more (this is how fast these vintage cameras are depreciating!) so I now have a half-plate camera to play with for my fun retirement projects

Anyone use full-plate or half-plate cameras here? The one I have is a standard half-plate (6.5 in x 4.25in) of the original glass-plate size. I don't shoot much in such long rectangles so this is going to be a challenge.

One option is to convert the back into an international 4x5" back and use it that way with a standard 5x4" enlarger.

Staying with the half-plate size seems challenging - the film prices are a bit pricey (due to lack of demand) although the old aesthetic of the half-plate is appealing enough to try this with a few 5x7" DDS.

Haven't decided yet, and am just playing around with ideas. Feel welcome to add any hints or advice you've found helpful for using half or whole plates. I guess if I enjoy using a half-plate camera, then I'll be looking towards getting into a full-plate camera, even if it's going to be contact printed only...

Re: Half-Plate/Plate Camera (101 hints for a retirement project....)

There's a very small (but vocal ) group of whole-plate fans here, self included. It's my favorite sheet film format. I've been using primarily an Eastman No. 2, but more recently also a Musashino Rittreck View with a whole-plate ("yatsugiri") back. If you search on "6.5x8.5" you'll find other relevant threads.

In the US, Ilford's annual round of accepting orders for odd-size sheet films continues until late this week. Once again, 6.5x8.5 is offered in both FP4+ and HP5+.

Another wholeplate user here. Search as Oren suggested and/or for his or my name and you'll find plenty of related threads, both here and at APUG. Order lots of 6.5x8.5 film from Ilford!

Thanks guys.

I'm starting off with a half-plate camera, and don't have much leads from the sources you mentioned - seems like full-plate is much more popular than the half-plate cameras. A lot of the threads cover the same themes like

1). which film holders to use
    2). how to adapt a half-plate to use modern film
    3). how rare original plate holders are
    4). how little film is available.
    5). what the exact imperial/metric dimensions of plate film is in the US/UK/Europe.

I'm still struggling with all of these

I have my sights set on Fuji Acros half-plate film & Ilford FP4+ although the limiting factor is the film holder for this half-plate size.....any help appreciated.

Hey a UK member

I thought full plate was very popular since it isn't dissimilar to 10x8?

I have a 1/2plate Kodak Ground Camera. It came with a reducing back which was shoddy but works. Literally remove the back standard, and slot in the new one, then place the spring-loaded GG half of a 4x5 back under two metal tabs. Hardly ideal but it works.

Of course I bought it with the same ideas in mind as you, but with a big age gap between us

You can find some sellers on the bay selling the old half-plate backs too. If you look inside them, you will note it's possible to reduce half plate to quarter plate by means of a super-thin wooden frame, latched on the back. You can mock something like that up for 4x5 in a half plate holder. I cheated and made a stack of half-plate card (mounting board) sheets with sellotape corners that the film is easily place into. Again, shoddy but it works.

I've also been on the look-out for a 'burke and james' reducing back as theirs are quite plentiful in america, and the wooden construction could be cut down to fit a camera better.

What camera do you have? You should be able to mock up a reducing back JUST about 5x7, and easily 4x5.

How old is your camera? If it's not too ancient you may well find that 5x7 and 13x18 film holders work without modification. This will give you a much wider choice of emulsions than sticking with half plate, and opens you up to colour work too.

Bear in mind that half plate is not half of whole plate. That is, you won't be able to get two half plate pieces of film by cutting down one whole plate sheet. Quarter plate is one quarter of whole plate, so why half plate is odd only Ole knows.

There was a whole bunch of Sinar half plate kit on the Swedish auction site Tradera recently. Film holders, processing hangers etc. etc.. I don't think all of it sold, so I'll give you a buzz if it's relisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    only Ole knows.
    Idolising, much?

Just to hijack, what external size (dimensions) are 5x7 dds? I'd like to measure my back to see if it's worth investing

Ole's my hero. Not only does he own a bunch of fun brass and mahogany gear, he uses it too. I only ever seem to manage the first bit .-P

I only have a couple of 13x18 holders, but they are modern enough that I know they'll fit 5x7 'international' backs. In fact, the plastic moulding includes the text "5x7" as well as "13x18". If no-one else chips in I'll measure them tonight.

well my 'bookform' half plate holders measure 14.8x20 on the outside, not including depth or darkslide tab.

That's the inner dimensions that will slot into my half plate GG back I guess?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    ... so why half plate is odd only Ole knows...
    I don't know, I can only concur that it's a mystery. And metric sizes are even worse - 6.5x9cm is one quarter of 13x18cm, 4.5x6cm is one quarter of 9x12cm which is one quarter of 18x24cm, and nothing at all divides into 24x30cm.

Film holder sizes are here: http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html