Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Essential is a Film Dryer in a Home Darkroom ?

Re: How Essential is a Film Dryer in a Home Darkroom ?

One of the best film dryer devices is a plastic clothes storage devices that hang up for storage of suits, dresses, etc. By putting a hair dryer at the top (or bottom) so it blows thru the storage device on low heat, film can be dried quickly and virtually dust free. But, I must admit I have needed something like this only once in many, many years. Blowing the film with a hair dryer while it hangs is just as effective if speed is really an issue as long as one is careful to not overheat the film.
    Frank Bagbey

When I first started developing film, I thought a dryer was a necessity. Then, I found that the faster I tried to dry the film, the more often I had problems with water spots no matter what I did. Now, I never use a dryer and never have problems with water spots. In the end, you are the only one that can decide how important it is.

- Randy

My darkroom is pretty small, and just off the garage. So, dust can be a problem.

I looked at commercial film dryers, but they were too big. So, I built my own that can handle 4x5, 35mm, and medium format film. It doesn't have a heat source, so film dries more slowly. But, it keeps the film away from dust.

Neil - what dimensions did you make it?

So, the answer is: Not Essential, but a convenience! In the past I have used a home-made cabinate type with a hair dryer for forced air, and it worked very well; I've also used a line stretched across the room, with and without an assist from a hair dryer. I found that the cabinate suited my work style well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    I have a custom tile and impervious plastic lined enclosure that can be hosed down to eliminate all dust. It even has a water distribution device on the wall to facilitate this. (I hang the negatives in the shower in the spare bath.)
    Ha! That's exactly the way I do it. I don't have a spare bath, though, so it's only open for film drying during certain hours.

In 35 years as a full-time photographer I have never used one. My darkrooms have never been particularly dusty but neither are they dirt free. The only times I have been tempted to buy or build one was when I was VERY busy or had a tight deadline. If I were doing newpaper work using film (huh?) I'd consider it.

I have always been very careful with my film and a film dryer was never a priority.

Bill
    www.koechlngphoto.com

I use one that is just a tall cabinet with a filter where the air flows in and several computer cooling fans to circulate air. There are also several light bulbs for a bit of heat, but it's only enough to keep it 10 degrees or so above room temperature.

I do think it's a convenience. I only use it because it's there and other people want to use the darkroom so i can't leave things hang in there.

Old School Wayne

I would think about using a cabinet at least if I often printed the same night as developing, thereby stirring up dust. BUt I usually develop one night and print another, so I've never used anything but a line.

Wayne