Thread: Sinar 5x7 - few questions

Sinar 5x7 - few questions

I am about to buy Sinar F2 but I also need 5x7 back for this camera. I am considering two options: get F2 4x5 set and add 5x7 format conversion kit, if I can find it for $400-500 or get separate parts and assemble 5x7 camera first, and then add a reducing back. I have few questions:
    1. What parts I need to assemble the camera. Is front and back standards, monorail and rail clamp enough, or I need something else?
    2. Would P2 5x7 back fit on F1/2 monorail?
    3. Will P2 5x7 conversion kit bellows fit F1/2 front standard?
    4. There is P2 5x7 back currently on e-bay for a bit less then $1000. Is is fair price or should I wait for better deal?
    5. Is there dedicated F2 5x7 conversion kit or P2 is the only one, at least B&H lists only this one.

Any help and ideas highly appreciated,

Jan

Re: Sinar 5x7 - few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_6568 View Post
    4. There is P2 5x7 back currently on e-bay for a bit less then $1000. Is is fair price or should I wait for better deal?
    Jan
    As a comparison, I got my horseman LS conversion kit for $675, which includes:
    -5x7 carrier and ground glass back
    -LS style (yaw-free) L rear standard
    -5x7 normal bellows
    -5x7 bag bellows
    -5x7 to 4x5 converter frame
    -All item in like-new condition.

The horseman L system 5x7 is rare.

Hi!

With the F-series cameras the format is "locked" to the size of the rear standart. If you are looking for economy, you should get a P camera or at least the rear standart. With that one it's very quick and simple to change formats. The added bonus is the very nice assymmetric swings and tilts of that standart. Combined with your existing front standart you'll get a C camera.
    The P2 series is nicer/better but also more expensive and unless you are working professionally with the camera you will get much more for your money with the older chromed P series accessories.
    A P-style 5x7' format change set (including bellows) in decent shape should'nt be more than max $500.

//Björn

What I did to convert my 4x5 F1 to 5x7 was buy a 5x7 Sinar Norma rear standard and bellows, and use the front standard from my F1.

If you watch ebay or contact KEH and Midwest Photo you should find those within your budget.

OK, does it mean that in F1/2 rear standard is fixed to the carrier and in P/P2 is not? If I get P2 format conversion kit I would need also P2 carrier - is that correct?

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_6568 View Post
    OK, does it mean that in F1/2 rear standard is fixed to the carrier and in P/P2 is not? If I get P2 format conversion kit I would need also P2 carrier - is that correct?

Jan
    Yes, all that is correct. The Norma is an older Sinar model that is well built, but is not geared.