Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Several Forum Regular's in the Next View Camera

Several Forum Regular's in the Next View Camera

Usual Disclaimer - I am a Contributing Editor of View Camera Magazine. That said I am a very excited Contributing Editor. Over the past months many folks here have asked for articles on classic cameras, classic lenses and classic processes and that is what this issue is all about. There is a short article on making wet plates in the field that grew of of a great afternoon Steve Simmons and I had with David Lotto teaching us the wet plate process ... out of the back of his SUV at Malibu State Park ... one of the most fun afternoons I have spent in years. Another is a lengthy portfolio including the work of our very own Jim Galli, Domenico Foschi, Ole Tjugen and Kerik Kouklis (Kerik has the cover too). And much more on classic cameras and lenses, etc. I'm excited that I had the opportunity to help put it together and look forward to doing more issues like this. BTW, you will see even more work by Ole, Domenico, Kerik and Jim on the website ... a much larger extended portfolio that will be up in a week or two; we jsut ran out of room .... Thanks to all of you for giving us the idea and the images.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 21-Feb-2007 at 19:12.

Dave Karp

Re: Several Forum Regular's in the Next View Camera

Malibu Creek State Park - Great location. Lots of nice photos to be had there.

That park got me married! I took a photo of the creek during a year with lots of rain. It was swollen and running fast, making for a nice photo opportunity. My future wife (who was then an acquaintance) saw it and asked if it was taken in Yosemite. I told her where it was taken, and we decided to go for a hike there (both of us with cameras). To make a long story short, after many hikes, that is also where we became engaged.

Ted, did the Park Rangers try to confiscate your equipment? That is what one threatened to me when I was last there on a photo outing with my Dad. He said I had to be a pro, noone with equipment like mine could be an amateur!

Unusual Disclaimer! I am not now nor never have been a contributing editor to View Camera (though allot of my work has been in and I have written a few articles for VC in the past).

That said-It is great to see some of the regulars here get some well deserved recognition in View Camera. I know in the early days of my career, that exposure in VC garnered me allot of credibility which has paid off ever since. Congratulations!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

David, nope, no harrassment at all. We did manage to gather quite an audience ... more when we were developing an dfixing the plates than when we were shooting. Even one 80+ lady who was telling us that she used to shoot 8x10 when she was younger.

I object to this shameless commercial use of the Forum and request that the Moderator delete this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    our very own Jim Galli
    Way to go Jim. You're getting so much press lately I expect to see you on Letterman

Congrats guys!! And well deserved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Jim Galli, Domenico Foschi, Ole Tjugen and Kerik Kouklis (Kerik has the cover too)
    Good show guys!

Looking forward to reading it.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

It has been a pleasure to meet and work with Ted Harris and Steve Simmons as well as meeting them in Santa Monica, I also want to thank them publicly for the exposure and vote of confidence.. I am in Italy at the moment trying to cope with jetlag(poor me ). I will be looking forward to get VC, obviously

Thanks for the heads up! My sub just expired so I'll have to buy a copy off the shelf---I wouldn't want to risk missing out if my re-subscription dosen't kick in in time!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White