Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

Re: Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan JB View Post
    I have a Heildelberg_Linotype-Hell Topaz 2 scaner. Is connected to a G4 Mac running 0S 9.2.2. Linocolor 6.0.12 is not saving my scans. I can do all the adjustments but once I want to save the TIFF scan the machines stays in a constant saving cycle. I changed the location it will save and it freezes when I do this any suggestions. I already found the Silverfast software, but spending $2500.00 on software when I'm just doing a scan every two months is not worth it to me. I just want this software to run as smooth as it was before. When is on I get one of the best scans I can buy from a flatbed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    It may be a dumb question: the software needs a dongle connected to the mac ADB connector (keyboard and mouse) in order to save the scan, did you check this dongle?

Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

Ivan,

I too have had these issues, while not totally resolved, here are things I have picked up along the way.

I am running Linocolor 6 on OS 9.2.2 on a 233 mhz G3.

1)

Lighten the operating system. remove all unneeded extensions and control panels (place them in a disabled folder) to reduce the OS demands. Clean up the hard drive to allow as much scratch disk space as possible. I need 2 gigs of scratch disk space to save a 1 gig scan. If you have Norton, run Speed disk and Defrag the disk.

I may blast my hard drive and do a clean install with nothing but OS, Photoshop and Linocolor to see if that works better. perhaps a scratch disk partition of 10 gigs or so.

2)

Linocolor seems to prefer LAB scans and saves much larger LAB files than Gray. I scan using the gray channel in LAB.

If you scan a 6100 dpi 4x5 or a 4000 dpi 5x7 file in Gray, it won't save unless I go in to Correction/image size/ down size. The software will give you a green light, yellow or red depending on the requested downscale.

That said, if you save as another format than TIFF, it will save!
    I can save a 4000 dpi Gray scan as an EPS, or LAB but not as a TIFF.

8x10 negs just don't want to save over 2500 dpi but I can live with that, it is enough meat in the file for my needs. out putting at 760 dpi, it seems to hit the wall at around 20x24 on smaller formats and a little larger than 16x20 from 8x10 scans.

I restart my computer after three scans. For the moment I scanning everything in both LAB and Gray to explore the files and boundaries.

I have not played with the CMYK scans yet, there is no RGB option sadly, let me know how color scans go if you go down that road.

It seems to be a very nice scanner, and I am just starting to learn how it reacts, I think it will provide us with many satisfying scans over the next few years.

There is another LFPF member running a Topaz on an old Mac in Austria.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan JB View Post
    I have a Heildelberg_Linotype-Hell Topaz 2 scaner. Is connected to a G4 Mac running 0S 9.2.2. Linocolor 6.0.12 is not saving my scans. I can do all the adjustments but once I want to save the TIFF scan the machines stays in a constant saving cycle. I changed the location it will save and it freezes when I do this any suggestions. I already found the Silverfast software, but spending $2500.00 on software when I'm just doing a scan every two months is not worth it to me. I just want this software to run as smooth as it was before. When is on I get one of the best scans I can buy from a flatbed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ivan,

Have you managed to progress at all?
    One aggravation is that you are never sure what it will deliver, my last scan was a 40x32 at 720 dpi output from a 4x5. Not bad, but it is still a little inconsistent.
    Last edited by Allen in Montreal; 24-Nov-2009 at 20:25. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I'm picking up a Linotype-Hell Topaz Scanner for $125 next week. Is this a good price for this industrial oldies? It looks like the first generation, 6000 pixel CCD. It seems to have optical zooming capability, doesn't it? Can anyone share info about it? How good is this scanner in term of resolution, color etc?

thanks
    rob

Giday Rob...
    I just collected a Topaz scanner, I see you got the machine to run. I'd be grateful for any advice. The machine powers up but it will not scan, one error is the reflection bulb yet it seems to light up. I read somewhere there is a cheap alternative for the NEC bulbs, does anyone know what that might be???

I am also concerned the machine might still have some part of the scanning carriage locked down, as it makes some strange noises... I did remove the two scres in the back area of the scanner holding the carriage. All and any information would be most appreciated.
    Thanks Raoul

Hello Ivan

I just got a Topaz and have some issues, I can't get the machine to scan, I have no manual and hence are asking people for advice. I am not certain the topaz is fully unlocked, I did follow the posted instructions in any earlier blog on unlocking the carriage, but the machine makes some very strange noises, hence my concern. I get an error stating the reflector bulb needs replacing. I read on a blog there is a cheap alternative to the NEC bulb. If you have any advice on using the scanner I would be most grateful...

You might be interested to know I have run Lino color on a G5 Tower running classic... the software runs perfectly. Till I get the machine to run I can't say the two will work but I can't see why not.

I look forward to any advice...
    cheers
    Raoul

Quote Originally Posted by permafrost View Post
    Giday Rob...
    I just collected a Topaz scanner, I see you got the machine to run. I'd be grateful for any advice. The machine powers up but it will not scan, one error is the reflection bulb yet it seems to light up. I read somewhere there is a cheap alternative for the NEC bulbs, does anyone know what that might be???

I am also concerned the machine might still have some part of the scanning carriage locked down, as it makes some strange noises... I did remove the two scres in the back area of the scanner holding the carriage. All and any information would be most appreciated.
    Thanks Raoul
    Raoul, Rob and anyone else in the know! Are you still using your topaz scanners.

I too collected a Topaz II today with a G3 machine, a wonderful Radius CRT Monitor and nearly killing two movers, got the 330 lb monster to my studio, removing 4 doors on the way!

Did you work out the way to check whether or not the scanner glass and CCD are locked down. I myself couldn't find the place where one could get any Allen wrench screw in to secure those two narrow metal plates. The directions are so unclear! i ended up wedging cloth and paper to keep the glass from moving and just prayed for the CCD!

Any details on this would be appreciated.

Asher

Where are the Topaz users? Speak up! We need you!

Asher

I have a Topaz II fully operational with Linocolor 6 on a G4 OS 9 and NewColor on a G4 OS 10.1. I also have 2 incomplete working models, a Topaz I and a Topaz II which I have for spare parts if anybody requires anything. The NewColor is very good software and a lot better than Linocolor 6 in my opinion. I also have a Screen Cezanne Elite and an ICG350i. The Topaz consistently produces better quality scans. Picture 1 is an unretouched Topaz II scan from a 5x4 ICG test transparency, original scan available on request. Picture 2 is a Topaz II scan of a 6 x 4 prescreened postcard unretouched. Picture 3 is the same scan from a Screen Cezanne Elite unretouched.
    Last edited by Hunterprint; 1-Nov-2011 at 09:30. Reason: Adding picture

hello,

I heard positive opinions on Newcolor 7000 .. 16 bit etc .. which is the newest OS on G4/G5 ?? that could work with Topaz/Newcolor 7000 ?
    best,

joerg

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterprint View Post
    I have a Topaz II fully operational with Linocolor 6 on a G4 OS 9 and NewColor on a G4 OS 10.1. I also have 2 incomplete working models, a Topaz I and a Topaz II which I have for spare parts if anybody requires anything. The NewColor is very good software and a lot better than Linocolor 6 in my opinion. I also have a Screen Cezanne Elite and an ICG350i. The Topaz consistently produces better quality scans. Picture 1 is an unretouched Topaz II scan from a 5x4 ICG test transparency, original scan available on request. Picture 2 is a Topaz II scan of a 6 x 4 prescreened postcard unretouched. Picture 3 is the same scan from a Screen Cezanne Elite unretouched.