Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

Re: Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

Rob. the Topaz, IIRC, uses a zoom lens. It was, when in production, sort of Heidelberg's 'entry level' high end scaner usingmuch of the technology of their top-of-the line F4200. To give you an idea of performance the F4200, in a comparative test conducted by Seybold of most of the then current high end scanners using a 4x5 chrome the F4200 rank 4th out of 14 scanners tested. The Heidelberg 2400 ranked near the bottom and the Topaz, had it been tested likely would ahve come out better than the 2400 and not as good as the 4200 ... a long winded way of saying that you will get excellent performance from this machine as all the scanners that were tested are in a different universe than the prosumer scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    Regarding the software, I would recommend using the LinoColor software if the machine comes with as it is very capable software and may pull more out of the machine than Silverfast.

it depends... for COLOR NEGATIVE i will go with silverfast !
    For COLOR NEGATIVE - I'd go for LinoColor 6.0 !!!

really.

After talking more with the seller about locking the CCD/lens of the scanner for transport, he said that this scanner actually moves the glass platform (where you put the transparencies) instead of the ccd/lens assembly during scanning. From our conversation, it seems that the glass platform is removable. He doesn't know whether it should be locked during transport. He mentioned that an image setter needs to be locked during transport. My question is: do I still need to lock it before transporting it? How?
    thanks for any advices.

Actually they both move if memory serves ...the platform moves in one axis and the ccd in the other.

Thanks for the info, Ted. When I get there tomorrow, I'll check on the scanner what Karl Hudson said in his post about locking the CCD/lens. I want to be really careful to not to damage it.

Though there isn't a version of Linocolor for the PC platform, there is Color Factory Pro, I use it with my Opal Ultra.

erie

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hudson View Post
    The Topaz is a remarkable product and I'm sure you will be quite pleased with it. The 6000 pixel CCD version is the first generation and they don't have much resale value anymore. An easy way to tell the difference is the shape of the blinking lights on top of the legs...Rectangular is Topaz 1 and round ones mean its a Topaz 2. Bear in mind the Linocolor is Mac OS 9 only. If you need to run the scanner with OS X, then Silverfast is the way to go. I am actually a dealer for Silverfast and could save you three hundred dollars off their price if you decide to go that direction. The scaling range on that machine is 20% to 2000% based on a 35mm slide mounted in the center of the scanning tray. It is important to lock the CCD and lens carriages before moving the scanner. If you initialize the machine and after its done take off the two long plates under the back cover, you will see that if you turn these plates over there is a little tongue which goes down through the main cover and lines up with a screw hole. A 3mm allen screw will hold the carriages in place. Make sure you take these screws out and flip the plates back over to cover the holes before firing the scanner back up at its new location. Hope this helps.

Finally I had a little time to play with this topaz scanner. This is an example scan of a 35mm velvia slide at 8150 dpi. It can do 8150 dpi by scanning along the long dimension of the film. I did not correct the color. No sharpening from the scanner. Film was laid on the glass, and I put 2 pieces of glass on top of the perforation sides to keep the film flat.

The pics below are the actual resolution (100%) of the red rectangle area (red arrow, "NE 42 ST", I used to live in that area) without USM:

and with USM (Threshold 1, 3 pixels, 200%).

Under a dissection microscope, I could still see more from the slide, but this scanner is much much better than my epson 3200. It's well worth $125 , but it's also a monster.

rob; YES you must lock these things when moving this machine!

I wont get into the terrible experience we had with this machine, but you are lucky to have a good working unit at this price.

BTW, Karl Hudson is the go-to guy for this equipment. We had to lean on him heavily with our many problems. He charges us nothing and answered many email.

good to see a good story revolving this machine.

dw

www.dr5.com
    www.filmrecording.net

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    After talking more with the seller about locking the CCD/lens of the scanner for transport, he said that this scanner actually moves the glass platform (where you put the transparencies) instead of the ccd/lens assembly during scanning. From our conversation, it seems that the glass platform is removable. He doesn't know whether it should be locked during transport. He mentioned that an image setter needs to be locked during transport. My question is: do I still need to lock it before transporting it? How?
    thanks for any advices.

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Krusche View Post
    rob,

if it is working then you have bought a very good scanner. I have acces to one that runs on a G3 or G4 with Linoscan 6.0.12, which appears to an outstanding software. Nice feature is the tablet on which you put your negative or chrome emulsion side down, i.e. no frames etc. Plane of sharpness is where it belongs. Liquid mounting is a matter of a few seconds, film cleaner on the glass .. film emulsion side down .. film cleaner on backside of film .. mylar(polyester sheet) on top .. push air bubbles out .. and there you are .. you will never again do without it .. and it is easy. Scan with sharpening off !! .. in Preview check the various scanner options for the Fine scan .. then run Fine Scan .. store the file and open with PS .. do the sharpening in small increments if you want or whatever adjustments .. the Autotools in PS will often be a reasonable match. The entire machine .. Incomparably superior to the Epson's. Enjoy the Topaz !!

Joerg
    I have a Heildelberg_Linotype-Hell Topaz 2 scaner. Is connected to a G4 Mac running 0S 9.2.2. Linocolor 6.0.12 is not saving my scans. I can do all the adjustments but once I want to save the TIFF scan the machines stays in a constant saving cycle. I changed the location it will save and it freezes when I do this any suggestions. I already found the Silverfast software, but spending $2500.00 on software when I'm just doing a scan every two months is not worth it to me. I just want this software to run as smooth as it was before. When is on I get one of the best scans I can buy from a flatbed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,

I am afraid I cannot help you .. if it works it's great .. if not I have a problem with such a machine .. try to keep the file not too large .. scan at max 1800 to 2400 dpi .. going much higher by interpolation will not add that much but inflate file size .. storing with adequate size is best .. keep file small and try again ??

just my less than 2 cents,

joerg