Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

I'm picking up a Linotype-Hell Topaz Scanner for $125 next week. Is this a good price for this industrial oldies? It looks like the first generation, 6000 pixel CCD. It seems to have optical zooming capability, doesn't it? Can anyone share info about it? How good is this scanner in term of resolution, color etc?

thanks
    rob

Re: Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner

If it is still working nicely, and the glass is fairly clean, the results should be really good. I think actual D-max should still be nearly 3.8 or even as good as 4.0, depending upon which vintage. It would work nicely for transparency scanning. Just for reference, Genesis Equipment has a few in stock:

http://genesis-equipment.com/product...peID=6&manID=2

Seems that if you really do have a not so old Topaz, it is still quite desirable. LaserSoft is now also making a version of SilverFast software for most of these, so you should be able to drive it with a more modern computer. The old LinoColor software is good, but would mean running an old computer dedicated to the scanner.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I hope Gordon is right but the machine may be firmware limited as well in terms of the vintage of the machine that will work with it.

Regarding the software, I would recommend using the LinoColor software if the machine comes with as it is very capable software and may pull more out of the machine than Silverfast.

It's a good price for the machine assuming it is in topflight working condition. You do know how big it is I assume?

Regarding the software, I would recommend using the LinoColor software if the machine comes with as it is very capable software and may pull more out of the machine than Silverfast.

it depends... for COLOR NEGATIVE i will go with silverfast !

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    It's a good price for the machine assuming it is in topflight working condition. You do know how big it is I assume?
    It's from a closing press-business. The owner claimed it works fine. Yeah, I know, it's a 300 lb beast. I believe he has the linocolor software for the mac. I'll let the group know what my opinion would be when I get it next week or so.

If it were being offered to me I would run a couple of scans with it before hauling. There is a printing biz near me that has one sitting in the hall ... been there for 4 years. Ask and they will tell you it works fine but no one has fired it up since they replaced it.

Thanks for the advice, Ted. I just called him, he actually offered me to test it. Should I bring a mounted 35mm slide or larger slides (I have some 6x7s)? He also mentioned that it also comes with a fluid mounting thingy. Is it true that you can increase or decrease the magnification of its lens so that you get higher or lower dpi from it? The common flatbed scanners like the epsons have fix lens (or dual lenses in the V series), so does the topaz work like this common flatbed? I do really hope I'm getting something cool.

owner Hudson Grafik Services Karl Hudson's Avatar

The Topaz is a remarkable product and I'm sure you will be quite pleased with it. The 6000 pixel CCD version is the first generation and they don't have much resale value anymore. An easy way to tell the difference is the shape of the blinking lights on top of the legs...Rectangular is Topaz 1 and round ones mean its a Topaz 2. Bear in mind the Linocolor is Mac OS 9 only. If you need to run the scanner with OS X, then Silverfast is the way to go. I am actually a dealer for Silverfast and could save you three hundred dollars off their price if you decide to go that direction. The scaling range on that machine is 20% to 2000% based on a 35mm slide mounted in the center of the scanning tray. It is important to lock the CCD and lens carriages before moving the scanner. If you initialize the machine and after its done take off the two long plates under the back cover, you will see that if you turn these plates over there is a little tongue which goes down through the main cover and lines up with a screw hole. A 3mm allen screw will hold the carriages in place. Make sure you take these screws out and flip the plates back over to cover the holes before firing the scanner back up at its new location. Hope this helps.

rob,

if it is working then you have bought a very good scanner. I have acces to one that runs on a G3 or G4 with Linoscan 6.0.12, which appears to an outstanding software. Nice feature is the tablet on which you put your negative or chrome emulsion side down, i.e. no frames etc. Plane of sharpness is where it belongs. Liquid mounting is a matter of a few seconds, film cleaner on the glass .. film emulsion side down .. film cleaner on backside of film .. mylar(polyester sheet) on top .. push air bubbles out .. and there you are .. you will never again do without it .. and it is easy. Scan with sharpening off !! .. in Preview check the various scanner options for the Fine scan .. then run Fine Scan .. store the file and open with PS .. do the sharpening in small increments if you want or whatever adjustments .. the Autotools in PS will often be a reasonable match. The entire machine .. Incomparably superior to the Epson's. Enjoy the Topaz !!

Joerg

Karl and Joerg, thanks for the advices. I will bring allen screw set there, and lock the carriage before bringing it into the car.