Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who currently sells new ULF holders?

Re: Who currently sells new ULF holders?

I've obtained S&S 7x17 holders from QCC and AWB holders thru the View Camera Store. I purchased the S&S holders last summer and the AWB holders in the late fall (QCC was out of the S&S holders at the time). Dennis at the View Camera Store shared with me that AWB had just completed a very large order of 7x17 holders for a Saudi Sheik. I think he said something like 50 film holders went overseas. I guess if we can get Saudi Sheiks involved with ULF there is still hope for ULF film and papers.

If you decide to try AWB holders, you will probably be glad to have the View Camera Store between you and Andrew. I understand that Andrew makes some nice products, but that he learned his customer service skills from Wiesner. :-) (ie not very prompt at answering e-mail, etc.)

Film and Darkroom User

John, I think that is a little unfair. I believe Alan is a 'one man band' but he makes a superb product. I suspect he has lots of back orders, and unless he has the item is stock you will have a wait. I've waited nearly 9 Months, but it will be worth the wait, I've seen examples of his film backs. I don't think he is anywhere on the Wisner scale!

Barry

We talk about new ULF cameras and holders in the upcoming issue of View Camera and will do a review of the available holders and how to work with them in our May issue.

If you can wait a couple of months I think the ULF camera and film holder situation will improve greatly.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    If you decide to try AWB holders, you will probably be glad to have the View Camera Store between you and Andrew. I understand that Andrew makes some nice products, but that he learned his customer service skills from Wiesner. :-) (ie not very prompt at answering e-mail, etc.)
    I waited several months for Alan to complete a rebuild of some old whole-plate holders for me. But it was no surprise, since he'd been clear at the time I placed the order that that's what it would take, and he delivered exactly as promised. And he's always responded promptly and helpfully to my occasional email and phone queries.

Barry and Oren, you are both correct. It is unfair to compare Andrew to Ron Wiesner and for that I apologize. AWB makes some very nice products, I feel lucky to have a few in my arsenal and I would not hesitate to do business with AWB in the future.

Actually we who shoot ULF are quite fortunate. Almost all of our vendors are small, custom shops and the quality of the workmanship is, for the most part, first rate. Yes, it takes some patience to participate in the ULF world

Film and Darkroom User

Thanks John for your positive response. We are certainly lucky to have people with real a interest in supporting the LF community. Good luck to all of them.

Regards

Barry

Unfortunate it's now considered slanderous to compare people to Ron Wisner!