Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Linhof Tripods ?

What's the deal with Linhof Tripods ?

Hi Folks,

eBay is full of used Linhof tripods, from the heavy-duty beasts (with disintegrating rubber feet) to super-lightweights.

The beasts look like they were great studio tripods, but too heavy for field use.

Now the lightweights look great, but do they have a better weight carrying capacity compared to their equivalent weight Gitzo or a Manfrotto/Bogen ?

Are the lightweights anything special ? Or are they as wimpy as their equivalent weight Manfrotto competitors ?

I just received an ill-conceived eBay purchase: a little Linhof lightweight, in gorgeous condition, 17" short when collapsed and only 46" tall when extended. It's too wimpy for 8x10 and too short for anything else .... what was I thinking ???

So, I ask again, what's so special about the lightweight Linhof tripods ?

Thanks,
    Ron

Re: What's the deal with Linhof Tripods ?

Ron, I have an (unfortunately) large collection of Linhof tripods, and you're right -- they're almost always either too huge or too short. But they are sturdy, and light, and easy to set up with their flip leg locks. Many of them have integral heads, which saves a lot of weight. They're really excellent for 35mm and TLR cameras. And, like Linhof cameras, there's a precision about them which contributes to the pleasure of using them.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Perhaps the large number of Linhof tripods for sale on eBay is a sign that others don't like them either. Just because it says 'Linhof' doesn't mean its always good.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Perhaps the large number of Linhof tripods for sale on eBay is a sign that others don't like them either. Just because it says 'Linhof' doesn't mean its always good.
    It has been my experience that Linhof products are designed and engineered to the highest of standards and hold their values fairly well. I have purchased many Linhof items in the secondary markets and they do exactly what they were designed for. Recently I acquired a heavy duty tripod with a rising column that is probably 25 years old. The rubber feet were worn out and I needed a 3/8" mounting plate. I called Linhof and got both replacement parts at reasonable prices to bring my tripod back to new condition. There is not one other tripod that I would consider putting my 11x14 Wisner on and using the rising column on for making photographs with.

Cheers!

I think you will find that most of the commenets above and the eBay auctions are all related to "vintage" Linhof tripods. I am a real fan of the current line of Linhof tripods, I own and use two of them. Bill's cooment about being either too huge or too short no longer applies. My standard, everyday tripod is a Linhof 3414 which folds to 25 inches and opens to ~ 5 feet without the center column (maybe a it higher). It weighs 5 pounds. It is absolutely rigid with a Toyo AII and with a Canham T57 with a 450 lens mounted and a reasonable amount of extension. It is rated at 13 lbs. but like everything Linhof that is pretty conservative.

I also have a Linhof Profi Port tripod for travel; it folds up to around 16 inches and fits in any carryon bag or straps to the top of my Orvis Kit bag. Fully opened without using any center column it is a bit shorter than I would like and its load capacity is a bit lower than I would like but it works fine and the size is the tradeoff ... it is the equal of or better than any other tripod I ever found that folds up this small. As long as there are no hevy winds it works fine with the Toyo AII

The current generation of Linhof tripods use "U" Channel legs and flip lock levers as opposed to the round legs with either collars or flip levers that are more common. I have Gitzos,Bogen/Manfrottos, Davis & Sanford and Majestic tripods sitting in closets and cannot recommend the Linhofs highly enough. I can't imagine ever needing another one but if I do it will be another Linhof.

I got the Linhof 3-D head last month and it is a thing of beauty, craftsmanship, and intelligent design. I can't imagine their tripods are anything less (but I also love the new CFs).

If I could afford to get into serious ULF I would get one of their large vintage monster tripods as a matter of course. They look even stronger than the biggest Gitzos.

One good reason that there are so many used Linhof tripods of a certain vintage on ebay is that several years ago there was a tremendous sale of these high-end units at truly incredible bargain basement prices (by Olden Camera?) which must have saturated the entire tripod market with them for years.
    I really wish that I had a 3414, but I think they are overpriced to be other than carbon fiber.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I really wish that I had a 3414, but I think they are overpriced to be other than carbon fiber.
    Bill, you save a 1 pound 4 ounces (if memory serves) with the closest comperable Gitzo CF pod and spend $215 more. Nor do I think you get as much maximum height with the Gitzo. CF is great if you need to squeeze every ounce out of your kit but in reality it will save you oly about 30% in wieght.

Is this 'pod any good ?

28" closed, 60" extended and weighs 5.1 lbs ...

Not the current 3414 but close ... maybe a generation older.

Calling Bob Salomon