Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advise in choosing meter: Minolta/Gossen/Sekonic?

Need advise in choosing meter: Minolta/Gossen/Sekonic?

Please give me an advise. I'm choosing spotmeter and flashmeter. Minolta/Gossen/Sekonic? Which models are the best? Any experiense?

Re: Need advise in choosing meter: Minolta/Gossen/Sekonic?

I have both Minolta and Sekonic. They are both excellent. Just pick one and start shooting.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I have both Minolta and Sekonic. They are both excellent. Just pick one and start shooting.
    Which model of Minolta will you suggest? Minolta F? Minolta V?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Which model of Minolta will you suggest?
    The Sekonic. L-559 or the newer L-758 if you're interested in digital profile capabilities.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

I think Seconic L-558 will give you everything you ever need for doing photography, Either you do Zone system or BTZS system. Also you can attach transmitter for strobes, excellent for field work, low light. I personally have Sekonic L558 Cine, which is also for cinematography. Excellent parameters, Battery is general 3V Lithium.

I think it is the most sophisticated piece of hardware for professional photographer.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Thank you for replies! For all years I used old Lunasix, now I'm trying to choose a new perfect model. I need very much mat glass measuring! I don't know how it sounds in english, hope you understand what I mean. Which of the models posseses this mat glass measuring? There for attachments for which brand (Sekonic, Minolta) are most suitable for this reason (mat glass measuring)?

I have used a Gossen UltraSpot for six years now, and I still like it very much. It is admittedly large, but since I use it with an 8x10, size is not that big an issue. It's quite accurate. It has also proven very durable. One of its best features is excellent support for the Zone system.

I paid $200 for mine on EBay in 2001, which I feel is a very good price for a well-made reliable spot meter with the UltraSpot's feature set.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moore View Post
    I have used a Gossen UltraSpot for six years now, and I still like it very much. It is admittedly large, but since I use it with an 8x10, size is not that big an issue. It's quite accurate. It has also proven very durable. One of its best features is excellent support for the Zone system.
    Sounds good! I will add some details. I'm going to use it with my Arca Swiss camera. And I know there is a special attachment, which measures mat glass? Have you heard about it? Has Gossen such an attachment?

Irina,

I use the following meters:

Flashmeters: Minolta Flashmeter III or V

Spotmeter: Pentax Digital Spotmeter

If I were looking for a new meter at this time... I'd probably go with a Sekononic 558 or one of their newer models.

Caveat: Minolta doesn't repair their meters anymore. However, there are third party companies that still do so. In other words, it's a bit of a risk (small but still a risk) if it breaks down. That said, the Minolta Flashmeter III and V are real sturdy workhorse meters... and are going for really low price these days on that auction site.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    I think Seconic L-558 will give you everything you ever need for doing photography.
    I just an L-558 Cine and agree. Its a 1-degree reflective spot and an incident meter. I had an old Pentax spot but I find myself using incident readings more and more. Very handy to have both capabilities, plus flash capability, in the one meter.