Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatbed scanners for MF neg scanning?

Flatbed scanners for MF neg scanning?

I need a scanner only for 120 BW and color negs, as I'm not scanning 4x5 anymore.

I can't afford a dedicated film scanner like a Coolscan 8000 or 9000. I currently have a Canoscan 9900F. Unfortunately good quality film holders aren't available for the 9900F, plus I would need to buy Silverfast or Vuescan software, as the Canon software isn't great. And I would like to find a scanner that gives me better quality than the 9900F.

I had heard about the Epson V700/V750, then just "discovered" that Epson makes the V500. As I don't need to scan 4x5 film, I'm thinking this might be a good choice, considering the low cost. The V500 can take Betterscanning film holders too.

Does anyone have any feedback about using the V500, and the scan quality they are getting, verses scans from a dedicated film scanner or a scanner like the 9900F? Also, any suggestions for software to use if I get a V500, ie Silverfast vs Vuescan?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Arne Norris; 4-Mar-2010 at 16:52. Reason: clearer questions

Re: Epson V500 for MF questions

I have a V500 which I bought for MF scanning and it works quite well for medium format. I am getting ready to sell it though as I bought a 4990 so I can scan 4x5 and larger. The V500 is slightly better and faster (no warm-up waiting) and it looks better too.

The Epson scan software that comes with it is adequate. Use it in professional mode and see what you think. Ken Lee has a tutorial on how to get the best out of it. I find no compelling reason to get any other scanning software. But I think you can get trial versions of those other tools to try out if you like.

Re: Epson V500 for MF questions

Thank you your comments Jack.

In thinking my questions through, maybe I should ask a more general question:

What is the best choice for a lower cost scanner to scan 120 negs? I ask this because I'm fast realizing that there are a lot of scanners out there. I just noticed that Epson has a V600 now.

My primary uses for a home scanner are for proofing my film, maybe trying to make "contact" prints of 120 6x6 strips (but only if this is easy to do given scanner hardware and the film holders available), and scanning select images for non-exhibition print output. I plan on sending select negs off for high quality scanning if I need exhibition quality files or files for publication.

Re: Flatbed scanners for MF neg scanning?

If you are going to make "contact" prints or proof sheets, then look for a scanner that scans 8 1/2 by 11. Then just put your negatives in those plastic negative sleeves, toss them on the scanner and scan.

I bought an epson 4990 refurb from their site for about $290 or so and it will do whatever you are asking of it. The V500 and V600 only scan a strip about 2 1/2 inches wide so you would need multiple passes to scan a proof sheet.
    The V700 does larger scans but it is more expensive. You generally get what you pay for....

I have used a V700 since they came out, had a colleague who to save $ bought a V500. She traded it in on a V700, that much better. The problem I have is with medium format film the holder is terrible, the film sags, I get good scans with 35mm and 4x5 but have been unhappy with the MF scans. Better Scanning has more stable holders, if you buy this scanner I would go their and buy a glass or mf holder.
    I find the professional section of the Epson software to be fine, I also find letting the scanner do anything automatic is not a good idea. I even outline my film when scanning.

Tom

Hi Anne,

Julia and I just bought an Epson 4490 to scan and archive our negatives and prints. We don't intend to make prints from our scans, so we looked for the least expensive scanner we could find that would scan 35mm and MF film, and prints up to 8x10. We reasoned that the number of negatives is inversely proportionate to their size, so proofing LF negs in the DR is not too much of a burden, and then we can scan the prints for our digital archive. I haven't even seen the scanner yet; I'm still at work in Alaska, but Julia has sent me her first scans from it. Julia has never scanned anything but a document before, and she managed to scan some MF negs with the 4490, without difficulty. The attached image was scanned at 300dpi without adjustments or editing of any kind, by a first time scanner-operator. I'm sure anyone with experience could get a better scan. At $149, I think it's a bargain.
    Last edited by Jay DeFehr; 6-Mar-2010 at 17:37. Reason: image loading

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Norris View Post
    I need a scanner only for 120 BW and color negs, as I'm not scanning 4x5 anymore.

I can't afford a dedicated film scanner like a Coolscan 8000 or 9000. I currently have a Canoscan 9900F. Unfortunately good quality film holders aren't available for the 9900F, plus I would need to buy Silverfast or Vuescan software, as the Canon software isn't great. And I would like to find a scanner that gives me better quality than the 9900F.
    A Nikon 9000 is $1800. A 750 is $800. The difference is huge. It's not even funny. Spend the money and get what you need.

Photography is expensive.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I've made a few scans of 6x7 b&w film on my Epson 4990, which is essentially the same scanner as the 700/750 in terms of resolving capability. The reason I made only a few is that they were o.k. for prints of 8x10 or smaller - not great but acceptable to me. But any larger prints weren't acceptable.

Different people have different standards. I've read of people who think their 16x20 prints from 35mm film are fine whereas 8x10 prints from 35mm were a stretch for me. FWIW, if I scanned predominantly 6x7 (or of course anything smaller) and wanted exhibition quality prints I'd save up for a dedicated film scanner or send my best negatives to a professional scanner or go back to the fume room.

P.S. Sorry, I just read your second post. For your purposes almost any scanner will do if your "non-exhibition quality" prints are things you just want as a record and don't care much about.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I am both surprised and satisfied with the quality that is possible working with 4x5 with the V-750, especially when combined with wet mounting and careful processing of the file in PS.

But, for medium format, I'll bump Lenny's comment. The Nikon 8000 is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the V-750, though, my caveat is that you must also wet mount the film to get the most from the scanner.

The NIKONSCAN software is excellent (far beyond EPSONSCAN), though the scanner itself prefers being tethered to a computer with no other FIREWIRE devices.

The stock NIKON holders are worthless for holding medium format film flat. The (anti-Newton Glass) ANG holder is better, but the best solution I've found is the ScanScience wet mount system. Optical glass, film mounted under the glass, closest to the scanner's sensor, and economicial (half the cost of the competition). Julio cuts the optical glass to fit inside the stock tray like a piece of film. His LUMINA fluid is also excellent to work with, exhibiting none of the headache producing properties that I found when using KAMI.

The biggest downside of the NIKON scanner other than the film holders is that the 8000 is slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    but the best solution I've found is the ScanScience wet mount system. Optical glass, film mounted under the glass, closest to the scanner's sensor, and economicial (half the cost of the competition). Julio cuts the optical glass to fit inside the stock tray like a piece of film. His LUMINA fluid is also excellent to work with, exhibiting none of the headache producing properties that I found when using KAMI.
    I'll second that.Been using the Scanscience system with 8x10 and 4x5 coming up on three years now with great success.