Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claims experience of damaged UPS shipment

Claims experience of damaged UPS shipment

During the recent Christmas period, one of my print shipments was damaged during the UPS shipment. There have always been some horror stories of we photographers dealing with reimbursement of claims from the various shipping companies so I thought it would be of some worth to share my current experience here with others. Having to absorb the full cost of a damaged shipment without insurance reimbursement is certainly painful considering the meager profits most of us reap from our work.

A customer for a fine art print on the East Coast received a UPS ground shipped package within the usual time frame and immediately noted the damage to the container as received. I go to some length on my website alerting my customers what they ought to do when receiving a package showing physical damage. Additionally I have a custom label on my packages that advises customers to not accept damaged packages when the UPS delivery person come by so they can initiate a return to shipper process immediately. In this case the recipient business was not in position to immediately turn the package around because of their daily volume of packages received. Per my website instructions upon inspection, they did promptly contact me via email and attached a digital camera image of that damage. The next day the damaged package was returned to UPS for shipment back to the actual shipper Staples that is responsible for initiating the claims process including collection of information.

Upon return of the damaged package, I began working through Staples which is one of several national companies that have official UPS outlets within their retail stores. Thus a claim number was created for the UPS tracking number. Staples has a national claims office that works directly with UPS over shipping damage claims so that I didn't need to personally communicate with UPS. A week later, I have received status that UPS approved the modest insurance reimbursement and I will be receiving a check within a couple weeks. All individuals I communicated with on this matter have been quite helpful and professional thus I can happily applaud their handling of this small case.

This was the first time damage has occurred during any shipment of prints to my customers. Something I'd hoped never to have to deal with but knew would likely eventually occur. In this case I use 36 inch long 4 inch diameter, 1.25 pound, white Uline shipping tubes to ship rolled Fuji Crystal Archive prints.

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.a...-2361&ref=3654

The shipping tube is more robust with heavy 0.08 inch thick spiral paper than usual tube containers. And I choose the larger diameter tubes so that my prints won't need to be rolled quite so tightly. Regardless these containers can be crushed inwardly if other heavy containers are atop them. Such occasionally occurs at UPS receiving warehouses when their automated ship movement conveyors become over clogged. For my fine art print business model, I have chose not to ship matted or framed prints but rather rolled prints in shipping tubes. Thus allow the customer to seek out the many framing businesses that in any case are likely to do a much better job than most of we photographers. Of course shipping framed prints, and especially those with glass, require considerably more effort with packaging, and are inherently more likely to suffer damage. Something I had done in previous days a decade and more ago. Additionally the raw cost of even a 32x40 inch print is considerable less than a matted or framed print such that in my case the cost is under the $100 basic default insurance offered by UPS for all their shipments. Thus no need to purchase an additional insurance fee. Finally I'll note that there is an advantage when dealing with damage claims through one of the UPS authorized shippers as Staple or The UPS Store versus delivering a package via the many UPS non authorized outlets.

...David

Re: Claims experience of damaged UPS shipment

Thanks for passing this along David.

Have you seen how West Coast Imaging ships their large prints? The prints are put into a sleve, backed by a protective paper. This is then rolled around an inner cardboard tube, with bubble wrap over it. This is then placed into a large square box. Costly to prepare for shipping, but very safe.

Michael E. Gordon

I recommend Ox Tubes http://www.oxpapertube.com/

Those glossy white tubes tend to be whimpy. Damaging an OxTube requires some effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    I recommend Ox Tubes http://www.oxpapertube.com/

Those glossy white tubes tend to be whimpy. Damaging an OxTube requires some effort.
    Thanks Michael, I checked out your link. Although the Uline tubes I use are more robust than a number of other mailing tubes I've seen, I'd be quick to get something even more sturdy as long as price and weight remains comparable. Noted the wall thickness for a similar 36 inch long 4 inch diameter tube is 0.15 inches thick versus the 0.08 inches of Uline tubes. Given the similar spiral wound construction, I have to believe that results in more integrity. And the price is still under $3. Thus I will likely check out some samples as soon as my current stock diminishes. ...David

Quote Originally Posted by David_Senesac View Post
    Having to absorb the full cost of a damaged shipment without insurance reimbursement is certainly painful considering the meager profits most of us reap from our work.
    Maybe time to re-evaluate your print prices ? I can tell you that I don't even raise an eyebrow when I have to reship a print, considering how tiny material costs are compared to the print price. Nowadays, I woudn't even bother to make any claim.

I'd agree with Rob's suggestion. Personally I never considered rolling a print inside a tube a proper form of packaging for anything other than posters.

Scott Davis

You are extremely fortunate to have had such a smooth experience dealing with a UPS claim. I had a horror story that I won't go into at length here, but the Readers Digest version was that it took me six months to get paid for my claim, after enduring stonewalling and outright physical intimidation. I will bend over backwards and willingly spend double or more the shipping cost to get something delivered by any other means than UPS. I wouldn't trust them to safely deliver rancid fish to my worst enemy.

Eric Woodbury

Sound like you were lucky. I know a photographer that ships photographs almost daily and now only with FedX. He's told me that if you read the fine print with any carrier, you cannot make a claim for damaged artwork, photographs, etc. FedX allows a $100 claim only against said goods. They will all take your money, but in his experience only the feds would pay up and only $100.

He successfully ships his prints in rolled and padded in a very hard tube. He showed me wooden flat crates and metal sided flat crates that he had shipped mounted prints in. The damage was amazing. Big holes and dents.

I know a borderline rant is not really helpful, but I would avoid UPS whenever possible. I've had items shipped from adorama and bh that looked like they put my film box below a TV they were carrying.

They have the worst customer service, and if your package requires a signature in person... there's no waiver you can fill out. Guess why that is? It's probably the same reason they have metal detectors on the way out (only on the way out) of their facility. How do I know about the metal detectors? You tend to notice things when you are waiting 45minutes to an hour waiting for them to go grab your box out of the warehouse because of said signature requirement.

Yeah, I'm bitter. In my opinion DHL is the best carrier followed by FedEx.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Senesac View Post
    ...David
    In my opinion that's because you're dealing with UPS and not FedEx. I've heard horror stories about FedEx only and never about UPS when shipping art.

I have to agree, I havent shipped photographs but many other items. I have found DHL to be the best followed by FedEx with UPS being a far and very distant 3rd when it comes to a package arriving in safe condition, and yes I have had UPS show up at my door and drop a package that requires a signature and try to leave, I always catch them and note damages to packages, its as if they dont want you to note that so they dont have to pay out on the item.