Thread: where to have shutter fixed

where to have shutter fixed

Hi,

If I should need a shutter cleaned and adjusted (which I guess I do), where shou ld I send it? (In other words, the real question is: Who should I trust to work on my LF shutters at a fair price for good work and a reasonable turnaround time ?)

Thanks,

Denny Wilkins

I would recommend Steve Grimes at www.skgrimes.com/

He is very fair and creative in providing the photographer a solution to your pr oblem.

Michael Kadillak

Ed Jones in Williamsburg Michigan takes care of all our cameras for our county w eekly newspaper. He is one of the old time National Camera guys. Reasonable pric es and competent work

The professionals are just going to love me after this. I was given some used Graflex cameras, one rail and one Speed G, along with a assortment of lenses, by a friend of mine. The lenses had't been used in years. I removed the top plate on them, sprayed with WD-40, washed out with warm water and soap, degreased with a spray type gun cleaner solvent, repeated the process several times and very lightly lubed. Checked operation with a Calumet shutter tester and they all worked pretty good. With all due respect to the pros I wouldn't try this with new modern lenses.

Ditto: Steve Grimes. He is in New England. You can get his number from any copy of View Camera magazine.

Here's an even easier way to find Steve Grimes' phone number (and a lot of other information):

www.skgrimes.com

Did you ever check the characteristics of WD 40?

If so you will find that WD 40 states that it leaves a lubricating film on whatever it is sprayed on.

This film, and therefore WD 40, should never get anywhere near shutter blade