Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camera for winter climbing/backpacking

camera for winter climbing/backpacking

I currently shoot with an EOS 3/RB/4x5/10D. Everytime I go backpacking I usually take my 35mm with a 28-75. I'm going to be going on a number of backpacking trips and a whitney summit soon and had the urge to pickup a camera I will use for backpacking/mountaineering stuff. After browsing on e-bay the Mamiya 6/7 RFs are quite pricey as well as the Fuji RFs. I'd really like to shoot at least 6x6 if not bigger but as small and lightweight as possible. Either that or I may just pickup a Nikon FM2 with a WA. What is everyone else using? And i'm still reluctant to bring my DSLR, I just don't trust it enough!

Re: camera for winter climbing/backpacking

Well dietcookie, since this is a Large Format forum I bet most here would take a very light-weight 4x5 camera with 3 small lenses.

That said, the last time I was on the summit of Mt. Whitney, July 4, 2002, I had a Minolta CLE with a 40-mm Rokkor. That's it. Usually backpacking, I carry a little more weight by traveling with my heavier Leicas.

I think a small Tachihara with a 135-mm lens. http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=136
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by dietcookie View Post
    I'd really like to shoot at least 6x6 if not bigger but as small and lightweight as possible. ...What is everyone else using?
    I don't know about everyone else, but I use a Toho.

I've modified it some, per Kerry's review. It's very close to 1.25 Kg which is lighter than most medium format cameras.

My whole kit, fully maxed out (10 film holders, five lenses, three liters of water, Gitzo tripod, etc... in my lightweight Osprey backpack (highly recommended) comes in at just under 16.5 Kg. That includes lunch BTW

So my question back to you is, why take MF when it's nearly as easy to take LF? And you get shifts and tilts so the trees really are standing straight in the photographs!

Bruce Watson

If you're going to Whitney soon, it's too late for the LF route! It takes a while to put a kit together that works for you and learn how to use it.

I shoot LF in the Colorado mountains but LF in real mountaineering environments is a challenge. For one thing, wind tends to be an issue. For another, anytime you want to take a picture you need to take out about a dozen separate items. It can be done, but it takes some commitment.

I did a series of portraits of powder skiers in the midst of a heavy snow storm with a old, cheap beater Rolleiflex. And I am waiting to get back to Alta with a couple of small, compact 6x6 folders. You can find a nice Agfa Isolette for $120 from Jurgen at http://www.certo6.com.

Let them get rained and snowed on and crack out another one - send em in for a CLA, don't worry so much ;-)

I'm selling my gowland 4x5 which is probably the lightest 4x5 available. It's not the most stable 4x5 around, but it's great for when you are carrying it + the kitchen sink.

i'm here in vista so if you want to take a look at it let me know...

robert
    Robert Oliver

When I summitted Whitney 20 years ago, I also carried a 35mm SLR with 28-80mm zoom lens. More recently, I day hiked part of the way (to Reflection Lake, just above Outpost Camp) with my Mamiya 7. As you know, Whitney is not a picnic (6K foot elevation gain from the Whitney Porthole trailhead, roughly 21 mile round trip IIRC) and I preferred a handheld camera with fast film to save the weight of a tripod (although I used a fist-sized minitripod from REI for a few sunrise shots).

To my knowledge, the smallest, lightest 4x5 camera around is a somewhat eccentric product called the Toho FC-45 Mini. It arguably is the LF equivalent of the Mamiya 7. It weighs only 880 grams (1.94 pounds) and, just as important, is extremely small, compact and exceptionally rigid. It's big limitation is that it lacks camera movements, but if you use primarily wide angle lenses you can usually get an acceptable amount of depth-of-field by stopping down. Badger Graphic sells it and this thread has a brief discussion regarding it: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=toho+mini. However, it never was a popular item so you'd most likely have to purchase it new. A used Gowland or Tachihara would be more cost-effective and readiliy available, but also a bit heavier and bulkier.

Personally, I would pick the Mamiya 7 with fast film (no tripod, but perhaps a monopod which doubles as a hiking stick) for this mission, but if that is too expensive, then maybe a 6x6 or 6x7 TLR of some type would be the way to go.

I think the Fuji 690 series is better than the Mamiya for mountaineering. Far cheaper, more durable, similar in weight, comparable optical quality, and the kicker is that they are entirely manual with no batteries or electronics to freeze or go bad or run out. The drawback is that they don't have a meter, and the lenses aren't interchangeable, but for six hundred bucks (or whatever they cost these days), they are amazing cameras.

Chris,

The Mamiya 7/7II system does have the optional cable to allow the battery to be kept in the pocket or inside of the jacket. It may be a bit of a problem, but it is an option.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

i recently went through a similar process while looking for a suitable camera to use as a travel/knock-around outfit when the 4x5 simply isn't practical. i settled on the Mamiya 7II and am very satisfied. it's small, light, quick (excellent built-in meter), and the lenses are simply increasable. yeah, they're as good as their reputation suggests. the fuji GW/GSW line is quite good too, but not nearly as portable nor adaptable, as the lenses are fixed.