Thread: Grafmatic repair

Grafmatic repair

Anyone have the grafmatic repair manual in PDF form that they can shoot over to me?
    I need to figure out how to do some repairs and CLA a few. I have two that are sans the darkslide handle used to pull out the darkslide. These are the models with the plastic darkslide handle. The older metal ones are built better but I have mostly the plastic ones.

I have to figure out how to manufacture replacements handles and attach them to the darkslide. Glue isn't going to do it because of the amount of force pulled and pushed on these things. Rivets needed. Also, while I am at it, its always annoyed me that the handles were not hinged, so they can be tucked away when not in use (and so they wouldn't break off as easily either) Suggestions?

Also, a couple of them have grooves worn into the front face from being slid into and out of the backs repeatedly. The grooves are pretty close to the area where the film is held so I suspect they may leak light. I guess the only way to fix that is to somehow fill in the grooves - with acryclic resin? - and sand it down flat. Suggestions?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Grafmatic repair

For the grooves, I would recommend that you make a mold of a good Grafmatic, and then use JB Weld to recreate the grooves. Normal resins will wear down way too fast. Go to TapPlastics.com for mold information, and practice on something like a flat piece of steel first.

If you fab the replacement handles out of metal, then you can use pins to make folding handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    For the grooves, I would recommend that you make a mold of a good Grafmatic, and then use JB Weld to recreate the grooves. Normal resins will wear down way too fast. Go to TapPlastics.com for mold information, and practice on something like a flat piece of steel first.

If you fab the replacement handles out of metal, then you can use pins to make folding handles.

You're giving me waaaaaay too much credit!

Service manual is here:
    - http://www.southbristolviews.com/
    - Scroll down the left frame for "Graflex Manuals"
    - Scroll down the main frame for "Grafmatic 45 Service Manual"