Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microtek Artixscan 2500f disassembly for cleaning?

Microtek Artixscan 2500f disassembly for cleaning?

I can't seem to figure out how to separate the case, to get inside to clean the unit. I am getting some "lines" in my 8x10 neg. scans, that can only be due to dust somewhere in the optical or light chain. Can anybody advise? I am long out of warranty, and I understand that Microtek does not offer service, even though they are a current company with new scanners.

Re: Microtek Artixscan 2500f disassembly for cleaning?

Gene, if you can email me an image of what you are getting I may be able to help. If you haven't yet tried it the most obvious cause for that sort of error is dust or a microscopic fiber in the calibrtion area of the scanner .... this is the long narrow channel in the holder.

I may also be able to assist you with some service from Microtek as well. It is not entirely true that they do not offer service. Finally,while nolonger sold in North America the 2500f is still a current model.

That is very interesting...regarding the possibility of dust in the calibration area of the glass negative stage. I will check that out. I have retouched all the scans I have done that have this defect..so I will have to do another scan to be able to illustrate the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    I can't seem to figure out how to separate the case, to get inside to clean the unit. I am getting some "lines" in my 8x10 neg. scans, that can only be due to dust somewhere in the optical or light chain. Can anybody advise? I am long out of warranty, and I understand that Microtek does not offer service, even though they are a current company with new scanners.
    I found that the lines went away when I switched from 16-bit B&W to 8-bit B&W scanning. There was no dust. I saw lines on all scans performed above the glass.

It's a shame, but I am willing to live with it. On a positive note, an 8x10 scanned at 1250 ppi makes one heck of a 16x20 print. Smooth, baby.

Try switching between transparent and reflective settings and then back to transparent. When you do this the mechanism flips over and if there is something on it, it might come out.

I vaguely remember something like this on my Agfa 2500 which is the same or similar machine I think. (its been a while)

Here is an example of the lines I am getting. This is a totally unretouched 8x10 negative, scanned on the Artixscan 2500f. Well...a crop from the neg.

I have tried 8 bit, 16bit, greyscale, RGB, even tried positive, with inverting in Photoshop. I tried the Silverfast software as well as the Microtek software for scanning....no difference. The scanner works fine for other size films with the other film holders, and it works fine for reflective art. I am about to pull my hair out.
    Now don't go on about how dirty the neg is, I didn't bother to clean it for this test. and it is an old junk negative anyway.

I recognize those lines. I get the exact same ones. You have my sympathy. I have spent considerable time in Photoshop, removing them.

I have the latest Silverfast and Microtek software, but I found that VueScan gives me the best scans. Have you tried that ?

See http://www.hamrick.com

Gene - I will email you a copy of my VueScan settings if you like. Just send me an email, and I will respond. I'm on the computer most of the day, at work. I will take my laptop with me, which has all the settings, etc.

Do your lines appear longitudinally down the length or partial length of the scan in the direction of the scanner movement?

My i800 exhibits a similar problem with the lines usually appearing in one of the primary colors.

Go to the Microtek technical support web page. Do a search in the FAQ for these line anomalies. Look for the instructions on which data files to delete out of the Microtek directory. Problem solved! ... for the time being.

Microtek apparently stores these anomalies in their data files so that they can be used in subsequent scans.

How innovative!

Hope this helps,
    al

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I recognize those lines. I get the exact same ones. You have my sympathy. I have spent considerable time in Photoshop, removing them.

I have the latest Silverfast and Microtek software, but I found that VueScan gives me the best scans. Have you tried that ?

See http://www.hamrick.com

Gene - I will email you a copy of my VueScan settings if you like. Just send me an email, and I will respond. I'm on the computer most of the day, at work. I will take my laptop with me, which has all the settings, etc.
    Ken, sent you an email through your gallery webpage. Your email here is blocked at your request.

Gene

Thanks Al. Is this it ?

Q. My scans show lines. How do I fix this problem?

A. When lines are produced in the scan or other incorrect output problems are present, this is usually due to a corrupt file(s)in the scanner driver's data folder. The contents of the ScanWizard driver data folder need to be deleted in order to get the scanner driver's default settings to reset. Once this has been achieved your scanner should begin producing normal scans. Follow the step-by-step solution "Deleting the contents of the data folder for ScanWizard" by clicking on the link below first and then test your scanner. If "Deleting the contents of the data folder for ScanWizard" does not work, then proceed to the next set of instructions which, are to uninstall and reinstall the ScanWizard driver in Safe Mode.

Note: Select the corresponding version of ScanWizard download and install instructions that apply to your scanner.

Title: Deleting the contents of the Data folder for ScanWizard

Solution 1

Deleting the contents of the data folder for ScanWizard will result in the removal of tempory settings files for the ScanWizard software. By deleting these files you cause all the default setting in ScanWizard to be applied. This allows you to scan as if you were scanning for the first time after installation of ScanWizard. Select the proper version of ScanWizard below and follow the step by step instructions to remove the contents in the data folder.

Deleting contents of Data Folder for ScanWizard 2.48 through ScanWizard 2.60

1. Close all Windows programs that are open.
    2. From the Desktop double click on the My Computer.
    3. Locate the C: (Drive) in the My Computer window and double click on it.
    4. A List of folders contained in the C: Drive will display. Locate the Windows or Windows NT folder and double click on it.
    5. Inside the Windows or Windows NT folder you find a folder called Twain_32. Double click to open the Twain_32 folder.
    6. Inside the Twain_32 folder you will find another folder called Scan Wiz. Double click to open the Scan Wiz folder.
    7. Inside the Scan Wiz folder you will find another folder called Data. Double click to open the Data folder.
    8. This will display all files within the Data folder. Next, click on Edit menu and then click on select all from the menu, this will highlight all the displayed files.
    9. Now delete all files by pressing the Delete key on the keyboard. By deleting these files you are simply is resetting the original default settings for the Microtek ScanWizard driver.
    10. Once you have deleted all files close all Windows and return to the Desktop.
    11. Finally produce a new scan. If the scan looks good then you have successfully resolved this problem. If the scan still has output problems then you will need to uninstall and reinstall ScanWizard in safemode.

Deleting contents of Data Folder for ScanWizard 5.01 through ScanWizard 5.991

4. A List of folders contained in the C: Drive will display. Locate the Windows or Windows NT folder and double click on it.
    5. Inside the Windows or Windows NT folder you find a folder called Twain_32. Double click to open the Twain_32 folder.
    6. Inside the Twain_32 folder you will find another folder called Scan Wizard 5. Double click to open the Scan Wizard 5 folder.
    7. Inside the Scan Wizard 5 folder you will find another folder called Data. Double click to open the Data folder.
    8. This will display all files within the Data folder. Next, click on Edit menu and then click on select all from the menu, this will highlight all the displayed files.
    9. Now delete all files by pressing the Delete key on the keyboard. By deleting these files you are simply is resetting the original default settings for the Microtek ScanWizard 5 driver.
    10. Once you have deleted all files close all Windows and return to the Desktop.
    11. Finally produce a new scan. If the scan looks good then you have successfully resolved this problem. If the scan still has output problems then you will need to uninstall and reinstall ScanWizard in safemode.

Deleting contents of Data Folder for ScanWizard 5.77 through ScanWizard 5.95

4. A List of folders contained in the C: Drive will display. Locate the Program Files folder and double click on it.
    5. A List of folders contained in the Program Files folder will display. Locate the Microtek folder and double click on it.
    6. A List of folders contained in the Microtek folder will display. Locate the ScanWizard 5 folder and double click on it.
    7. A List of folders contained in the ScanWizard 5 folder will display. Locate the Data folder and double click on it.
    8. This will display all files within the Data folder. Next click on the Edit menu and then click on select all from the menu, this will highlight all the displayed files.
    9. Now delete all files by pressing the Delete key on the keyboard. By deleting these files you are simply is resetting the original default settings for the Microtek ScanWizard 5 driver.

Deleting contents of Data Folder for ScanWizard Pro

6. Inside the Twain_32 folder you will find another folder called ScanPro. Double click to open the ScanPro folder.
    7. Inside the ScanPro folder you will find another folder called Data. Double click to open the Data folder.
    9. Now delete all files by pressing the Delete key on the keyboard. By deleting these files you are simply is resetting the original default settings for the Microtek ScanWizard Pro driver.

Instruction No. STP-00059
    Date Created:11/04/04
    Date Modified:08/19/05