Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's great about stitching with CS3 ?

Re: What's great about stitching with CS3 ?

I've haven't yet downloaded CS3.

Can one correct distortion using the Photoshop Lens Distortion Filter, and then feed the corrected images to the stitching utility to get the successful results that Tuan obtained?

Since one would be using the same focal length for each component of the stitching, it would be easy to reapply the same lens distortion corrections to each component.

I agree in principal Neil, or use the PTlens Plugin too with its more extensive lens profiles. Clean it up and then stitch it. That is how I have been doing it though I have not tested whether there is any real advantage to doing it in that order.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

ageorge,

I see some repetition in the cloud forms in the top center of that image. Are you comfortable with that? That indicates some time lapse between the images, so that you can do the bracketing necessary for the HDR components + pan components? I like the image but the sky just doesn't look right.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

DXO: see dxo.com :-)

It is not possible to profile your lenses yourself with DxO.

In particular, I think the Canon TSE lenses will never be corrected by DxO, since a different profile would need to be used for each lens configuration, and there is no way to know which one was used from the EXIF information. They do, however, cover most of the mainstream lenses.

Qt,

Thanks, That is what I suspected. Barrel distortion and CA vary with the amount of shift, which makes a general setting all but impossible. I use primarily a Canon 24TS, 45TS and an Olympus 35PC and secondarily some Canon L zooms which are covered by DXO.

But QT,.....barrel distortion and vigneting and CA vary with amount of zoom too. How do they make that work?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Qt,

barrel distortion and vigneting and CA vary with amount of zoom too. How do they make that work?
    They have built tables for the spectrum of focal ranges and read the exif (probably interpolate for tweener focals.)

Re distortion with CS3's merge: since the "perspective correct" projection straightens lines, it applies the same logic to distorted captures. So far, from what I've seen, CS3 automatically compensates for lens anomolies -- at least the relatively minor ones.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    ageorge,

I see some repetition in the cloud forms in the top center of that image. Are you comfortable with that? That indicates some time lapse between the images, so that you can do the bracketing necessary for the HDR components + pan components? I like the image but the sky just doesn't look right.
    I agree. It was a proof of concept. I wasn't trying to nail it. When doing this you have to be very good at the pano seams because the HDR process will exacerbate any issues. Especially with a moving subject like clouds and surf. It is pretty easy to add more randomness to the clouds to mask the issue. There is also a slight halo around the large rock which is bothersome and more difficult to tackle.

Better?

Quote Originally Posted by ageorge View Post
    Better?
    Yes it's better, but... I still can see the rather obvious repetitive cloud pattern from the clone stamp...

Add to that the halos imparted by almost all of the current HDR tools drive me nuts! I *much* prefer to do the DR merges manually in Photoshop -- it's really very easy to do this and get perfect, no-halo DR blends.

This image is an example of a DR blend I did manually -- 2 stops over, on and 2 stops under blended manually in CS. You cannot see the blend lines at the windows in a 17x22 print. The lighter edges you see in the lower windows is differing transparancy from a thick layer of dust and grime actually on the windows (like that in the upper windows) and not a blend seam:

Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Add to that the halos imparted by almost all of the current HDR tools drive me nuts! I *much* prefer to do the DR merges manually in Photoshop -- it's really very easy to do this and get perfect, no-halo DR blends.
    I would agree. Here is a non HDR blend of two exposures with over a 6 stop spread. The top was 1/4s @ f14 (DSLR) and bottom was 20s @ f14.

Great image and nice blend!
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com