Thread: A Few German Photographers

A Few German Photographers

I did a search on LF Forum, and somehow only a few German photographers show up, so I thought I would use a new thread to introduce two more, and invite some commentary. While the work of these two is very different, I hope this can lead to some interesting discussion. Also, I'm not specifically picking these two due to the fact that I am from Germany, that is more of a co-incidence and not intentional.

The first to introduce here is Thomas Wrede. I apologize for his website only being in German, though it should be easy enough to view his images. I like the starkness of his landscape images, and those of the larger things in the world. The selective focus technique is another one I like that has come up in a few conversation in the past on LF Forums. Obviously, some images involve manipulation, and some are straight in-camera large format shots. One thing he commonly does admit to is sometimes cleaning up his images, but I don't find it obvious which images are manipulated later. Opinions?

Anyone having trouble with the German only website for Thomas Wrede can find out more at his listing on the f5.6 Gallerie. You can go to http://www.f56.net or use the direct link here.

The second is Thomas Kellner, who might questionably fit into a large format discussion. He constructs elaborate pinhole cameras that photograph many frames of 35mm film all at the same moment. Why I consider this large format is that he has a one time simultaneous capture on a large area of film. During the discussion about stitching, I thought of this photographer's images. Most of his prints are quite large, though not really technically limited by his usage of pinholes nor 35mm film ganged up inside a light tight box. The end results are not images that provide an easy understanding of process, and seem to require an explanation of techniques. Does lots of 35mm film ganged together equate to large format? How would you compare this technique to stitching?

Anyway, I hope some good discussion comes of this. I titled this Few instead of Two, because I am hoping for more comparisons to other photographers, German or others.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Moderator's note: see update below re Thomas Kellner's website. --Oren
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 13-Aug-2021 at 20:26.

Re: A Few German Photographers

Thanks for passing this along Gordon. This brings back many fond memories. I lived in Wertheim, Germany back in the late 1970s. I went back for a visit in 2003, and am hoping to go back next year again.

Wrede and Kellner are both amazing. I lean towards Kellner for touching my interest more than Wrede. (There is English translations on Wrede's site, but you've got to dig deeper.)

I don't think it's neccessary to question whether Kellner is LF or not. I'm sure some people will, but for me, his use of 35-mm is part his self expression.

Gordon – I feel your pain. I think the best photography today is coming out of Germany..Here are some example of the top of my head.

Bern and Hiller Becher
    Thomas Struth
    Andreas Gursky
    Thomas Ruff
    Elger Esser
    Candida Hoffer
    Thomas Demand
    Michael Wesely
    Uta Barth
    Wolfgand Tillmans

And from the past too!
    August Sander
    Albert Renger Patzsch
    Karl Blossefldt

Hello guys,

Thanks for the comments and additions. The obvious usual suspects could include the Bechers, Struth, Gursky, Hoffer, Demand, and Tillmans. Oddly enough, many of these photographers used (or still use) large format cameras; though whether that states anything about approach or is simply coincidence is another matter.

I think with Thomas Demand is an approach of manipulation before the image. There is a surrealism to the results, though is the sculpture the art or only the presentation of a photograph? Somehow this goes back to Wrede, who acknowledges manipulating (post processing), though it is tougher to tell when it was done.

Obviously some of the names mentioned studied with the Bechers. I suppose their influence might be apparent in some of their students later images. There is still that feeling that despite a few common aspects, I am having trouble defining what might be a German style.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

and Michael Schmidt and Elger Esser...

(But there's also plenty of cool photographers elsewhere - even in the the USofA - like John Gossage)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Kellner's style is wonderful! That's as cubist as I've seen photography get. I like it very much and would love to see those big prints.

A late update to this thread - Thomas Kellner has written to let us know that his website has moved. His work can now be viewed here:

https://www.thomaskellner.com/

Thank you Oren!

https://www.thomaskellner.com/blog/p...an-artist.html

I find this his best set of words

He is up to our moment and facing reality

Art students should study his words

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    A late update to this thread - Thomas Kellner has written to let us know that his website has moved. His work can now be viewed here:

https://www.thomaskellner.com/
    Tin Can