Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF materials strategic reserve?

LF materials strategic reserve?

With J and C temporarily out of action, the loss of Agfa and Forte, and past supply interruptions by Ilford (when they went through reorganization) and Kodak (when they moved ops into that "dust free" building) it seems like having a bit of something in the deep freeze to tide one over in case the supply lines are interrupted isn't too bad of an idea. This in turn brings up the question of how much and what to set aside? How much effort, time and space to invest? Which formats are you willing to support in this scenario?

Is having say a month's (or two) worth of film and paper enough? Should you invest in stocking up on your 'standard' emulsions as the way to go or maybe certain emulsions keep better than others over the long haul, such as AZO, APHS or Plus X Aerecon? Do you take advantages of 'power buys' (like Cosmo Kramer and "Beefaroni") on stuff that comes up on sale (J and C had some great deals in the past, and currently Freestyle has quite a deal on 4x5 Ilford HP-5+ short dated film)

Whats your plan? Yeah, I know you can always use your cell phone but what I'm interested in is LF materials
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Terence

Re: LF materials strategic reserve?

In addition to the FP4 and HP5 I use in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 I have a "stash" of the following that I don't really touch, or that I cycle through with fresh film:

100 sheets FP4 4x5
    500 sheets of HP5 4x5
    100 sheets of Ilford Ortho 4x5
    300 sheets of Kodalith 4x5
    200 Sheets of Ektapan 4x5
    50 sheets of Tech Pan 4x5
    100 Sheets J&C ortho 4x5
    50 Sheets Maco IR 4x5
    25 Sheets Maco Aura IR 4x5
    75 sheets Adox 25 4x5

25 Sheets HP5 5x7
    100 sheets of 160NC 5x7
    100 sheets of Efke PL50 5x7

25 sheets HP5 8x10
    50 sheets of Tech Pan 8x10 (last ones sold by B&H)
    100 sheets of Kodalith 8x10
    50 sheets of Efke PL50 8x10
    100 sheets J&C Classic 100 8x10

75 sheets FP4 8x20

125' of 9.5" Plus-X aero

I have slowly been adding to this hoard as money allows. I want to be able to support a rate of 50-75 4x5 shots, 50 5x7 shots and 25 8x10 shots a year for ten years.

I've also built up a 70mm hoard of:
    1800' of various Aerographic films
    600' of Tech Pan
    125' of Kodak IR
    Last edited by Terence McDonagh; 11-Feb-2007 at 15:31. Reason: Forgot some.

Fortunately, I don't have that much of a problem with suppliers. I generally buy my film from Calumet, but will also buy from B&H, Adorama or any one of a dozen or so others suppliers. I'll keep a box or two on hand, rarely more. As great a guy as John at J&C, I never bought much from him, because he didn't carry the film I like.

Also this dismal list of companies gone or going should include companies like Calumet who are refocusing their efforts on the amateur DSLR market.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I have a small (13 cubic feet) chest-style freezer devoted to film and paper. It's not big enough to be classified as "strategic" - more like "tactical".

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Also this dismal list of companies gone or going should include companies like Calumet who are refocusing their efforts on the amateur DSLR market.
    I don't know, Calumet is one of the companies behind the Silver Conference in Pasadena in March. I think they are committed to film, but they also have to react to the market to stay in business. FWIW, I just ordered some Velvia QuickLoads and Provia 400F from them.

This is something that we, as film photographers, are going to have to be aware of, and plan for. Just look at Fuji's example, they announced last year at PMA a new Provia 400X, to be shipping by last fall; it still isn't available. I'm sure we are all aware that Fuji is commmitted to film, but there are realities to what they and others can do.

The problem I see with stockpiling is that it creates waves of demand rather than a more regular flow of purchases. Some of these companies are working from one quarter to the next and if one quarter they get a large order and then the next three they get nothing, it could tip the scales and cause an early shutdown of supply. Sure, I know that there are a lot of people buying, but it could happen that a number of people react to a rumor, buy a large reserve, and then the following dearth of sales precipitates that demise.

I also think that it could potntialy cause prices to go up as product either runs short and causes the need for unexpected production runs, or causes product to sit on the shelves for long periods of time. Again, it may be unlikely, but it is possible givent the right circumstances.

One last thing that comes to mind is when somone else picks up a discontinued product, say Rodinal, and a large number of people stockpiled a lifetime supply of it. Now they spend money to make it because they think that there is a huge demand, but no one buys it because everyone has enough to last forever in their closet or basement. The company then says, "Damn, that was a mistake. Look how much we lost on that" and stops production again.

I'm not saying any of these *will* happen, but I am saying that stockpiling *could* cause them to happen...

- Randy

Terence

Randy, to an extent I agree. What I've been doing is ordering 25% more than I think I need to act as a hedge against fluctuations. If worse comes to worst I want a solid six month hedge against any discontinuations. I am still buying film regularly and turning over my "stash", keeping the freshest film.

I would rather be a current buyer that doesn't have to stockpile materials but the marketing of photo materials require that I do otherwise. I am getting ready to buy several years worth of paper and have already done that with film. Forget JandC and anyone else for dependability because it just isn't going to happen. That's the market and that's the trend.

Hey, do you consider only the film stock? How about the development?