Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tips for low natural light portraiture

Re: tips for low natural light portraiture

thanks for the reasurances on the longer exposures!!!

i mean if we dig back into history most portrature was done at speeds of over 1 second... there is something about the interaction too with someone when they know that the exposures are longer, the sound of the shutter etc., a kind of complicity... so despite the (justified) reservations, i think i'm going to just take more film along, keep it simple, make 8x10 prints.

It will help keep the film companies in business so it's good for us ;-)

Been there, tried it. It is always a trade off between enlargement and traditional "sharp" portraiture. Plus a portrait of 1 sec at f/16 on modern fast film is still going to look different than Julia Margaret Cameron's 5 sec at f/6.3 on slow plates....

I find that usually I have no problems getting people to sit still for a few seconds. I explain the entire process to them, let them look at the Crown Graphic ground glass, etc. And besides, they are in awe of the camera to begin with : )

What I do have trouble with, is the exact focusing in low light. I can get it close, but not exactly. Does any one have suggestions about that?

I will try to show a couple of photographs I recently took in the office, no strobes, natural office lighting. Exposures are 1 to 4 seconds.

Photo 1.

Photo 2.

Photo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by arkady n. View Post
    . . . What I do have trouble with, is the exact focusing in low light. I can get it close, but not exactly. Does any one have suggestions about that? . . .
    Even when I'm using studio strobes, the modeling light is often too dim for critical focussing. I'll often use a supplemental light (a 650W Arri) to focus with, then turn it off prior to taking the shot. Using the Arri, I learned quickly to warn the subject and have them close their eyes - it's awfully bright, but great for focussing.

nice colours (1 and 3) arkady, i used a 10x lupe and focus wasn't an issue... that maybe worth trying?